Lady Antebellum performs at prom for students from tornado-hit town
LOUISVILLE, Ky. -- Lady Antebellum performed a mini-prom for students from an Indiana town that was devastated by a tornado earlier this year.
The students of Henryville Junior-Senior High School won an online contest to have the Grammy-winning trio perform at their prom.
The band missed the real prom last month due to scheduling, but they performed at a more casual prom-like party on Wednesday at an arena in downtown Louisville overlooking the Ohio River.
A tornado in March destroyed the school and damaged many homes in the community of Henryville, Ind.
"Each and every one of you have inspired us, and we're so honored to be here, I know it's your second prom technically," said singer Hillary Scott.
Scott and another band member, Charles Kelley, selected two students to dance with during the short acoustic show.
Kelley said the band hoped to lift the Henryville community's spirits.
"We want to just go there and hopefully bring a little joy, meet them, shake their hands, encourage them to try to get through it as best as they can," the singer said.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
celebrity, music news, entertainment
- Tornado rips through Oklahoma City suburb 16 min ago
- 3 charged in bizarre East LA '12 bank robbery
- Greuel, Garcetti make final stops across LA
- UC hospital workers to strike over higher pay
- Laguna Beach sex assault suspect surrenders
- Man's body found in vacant apartment in IE
- Man shot, killed in Victorville; 1 arrested
- Hollywood High honored for musical theater
- Girl, 10, fatally shot inside NorCal home
- abcnews: Hofstra student killed in police standoff
- 2 killed in Turkey hot air balloon crash
- United's 787 Dreamliners back in service
- Taylor Swift wins big at Billboard Awards
- Photos: Best moments at Billboard Awards 2013
- Aerial views of Oklahoma tornado damage
40 min ago