Billboard Music Awards 2012: Adele, LMFAO among top winners
LAS VEGAS (KABC) -- Adele was the biggest winner at the Billboard Music Awards on Sunday night, taking home 12 trophies, including the coveted top artist honor.
Adele's awards included top female artist and top radio song artist. She won the top pop album award as well. Her Grammy-winning album, 21, featured chart-topping singles like "Rolling in the Deep."
LMFAO also won big with six awards. Their "Party Rock Anthem" got the nod for top pop song.
It was a good night for rappers, too. Wiz Khalifa won top new artist honors and Lil Wayne was tapped for top male artist.
The ceremony was also full of performances. The British boy band the Wanted, Usher and Justin Bieber, who won top social artist, also hit the stage. "American Idol" alums Kelly Clarkson and Carrie Underwood performed each of their new singles.
In an emotional tribute to Whitney Houston, Jordin Sparks brought Bobbi Kristina to tears and the audience to their feet singing Houston's most iconic song: "I Will Always Love You."
Billboard honored Houston posthumously with the Millennium Award, and Stevie Wonder was given the Icon Award.
"Thank you so much for showing that much love, because she deserved it," said Bobbi Kristina, who accepted the award on her mother's behalf.
Adam Yauch of the Beastie Boys and Donna Summer were also remembered. The show also marked a moment of silence for Robin Gibb, one of the co-founders of the Bee Gees, who died earlier Sunday after a long battle with cancer.
The show was hosted by Julie Bowen and Ty Burrell from ABC's "Modern Family."
award shows, music news, celebrity, entertainment
- 2 LB suspects accused of human trafficking
- Anaheim begins closing marijuana dispensaries
- Odor forces evacuation of Pasadena building
- Memorial Day: Gas prices aren't stopping drivers
- Palmdale boy dies after allegedly being tortured 9 min ago
- Are bridges in Southern California safe?
- LA attempted murder suspect caught in Colo.
- Committee approves dental care to Medi-Cal
- Truck in bridge collapse had permit to cross
- UK-bound Pakistan plane diverted; 2 arrested
- abcnews: New clues to 'frustrated' Boston suspect
- New flu vaccine made from tobacco plant in works
- 'The Rock' returns for 'Fast & Furious 6'
- OTRC: Leonardo DiCaprio space trip nabs $1.5 mill