NY woman sentenced for fake-cancer wedding scam
GOSHEN, N.Y. (KABC) -- A New York woman was sentenced Wednesday for faking having cancer in order to solicit wedding gift donations in 2010.
Jessica Vega, 25, was sentenced to time served for the nearly two months she has already served in jail, for her scam that netted more than $13,000. She was also sentenced to five years' probation, 300 hours of community service and must enter substance abuse and mental health programs.
She was released Wednesday a few hours after being sentenced.
Vega claimed she had leukemia in 2010 and told people she wanted a dream wedding with the father of her child, Michael O'Connell. The couple had the wedding and a Caribbean honeymoon.
After the wedding, O'Connell went to a newspaper that had featured her story. The couple then divorced.
O'Connell and Vega have since had another child. Vega will now live with O'Connell's family in upstate New York.
O'Connell told reporters there was a chance the two could rekindle their relationship.
Vega has been held since April 25. A prosecutor said she has paid back more than $13,368, with nine victims getting checks ranging from $500 to $3,700.
Vega was arrested April 3 and pleaded guilty three weeks later to charges of scheming to defraud and possession of a forged instrument. She had been living in Virginia with O'Connell and their second child.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
legal, fraud, sentencing, stupid criminals, entertainment
- I-5 through Grapevine reopens w/ CHP escorts 13 min ago
- Quick, cold front brings rain, chance of snow
- US vet Merrill Newman back in CA from NKorea
- 4 killed in OC crash; alcohol, speed involved
- Hawthorne stabbing: 1 killed, probe underway
- 87-year-old rescued from OC mobile home fire
- Manhattan Beach offers free parking downtown
- Oxnard home, vehicle hit by multiple gunshots 55 min ago
- New Mexico cop fired after minivan shooting
- Nelson Mandela's legacy honored around world
- abcnews: Alleged cannibal ran hotel w/ grill area
- Mystery donor gives $50K to MO Salvation Army
- 'Out of the Furnace' showcases pacing, acting
- OTRC: Brian the dog returning to 'Family Guy'?