Mary J. Blige rocks out in 'Rock of Ages'
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Mary J. Blige brings her big voice to the big screen in the new musical, "Rock of Ages."
"It's time to mix it up. I love singing, I love music, but I love doing the work with acting. It's therapeutic. The acting coach, just finding the character, it's very therapeutic," she said.
For this R&B star, her therapy for "Rock of Ages" included singing rock 'n' roll. Blige say she was exposed to some of the film's rock songs thanks to TV.
"MTV was the only video station at the time and we all had it and we watched MTV and waited on George Michael to show up. And while we were waiting for George Michael, Pat Benatar would show up. Wham, we waited on Wham we loved Wham. So, that's how I got exposed - through the visuals.
It definitely helped me in my career. Now I'm covering Led Zeppelin songs and singing with Bono and U2," said Blige.
Another actor who's singing in this film is Tom Cruise, and Blige, a multiple award winner, gave the Oscar nominee high marks.
"I heard him sing, I heard a lot of the audio, it's really good, it's really really good," she said.
You can rock out with "Rock of Ages" when it hits theaters June 15.
celebrity, movie news, entertainment, george pennacchio
- Palmdale boy, 8, may have been tortured 20 min ago
- Cold case: Cadaver dog fails to pick up scent 20 min ago
- London attack investigation: 2 more arrests
- Bear cub breaks into a kitchen in Duarte
- Local police officer accused of child molest
- Van Nuys stabbing victim's family speaks out
- OC sheriff's reserve sergeant found beaten
- UC hospital workers' strike ends after 2 days
- Oklahoma tornado victims' names released
- abcnews: New Susan Powell video released
- Vote on gay Scouts comes at emotional moment 26 min ago
- Charles Ramsey promised free burgers for life
- SI model accepts local teen's prom proposal 2 min ago
- OTRC: Jennifer Aniston plays stripper in 'Millers'
- Latest weather with Bri Winkler
11 min ago