Lance Bass shares personal story in documentary, 'Mississippi I Am'
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Lance Bass, a former 'N Sync star, is now the executive producer of the documentary, "Mississippi I Am." He's also sharing some of his personal story.
"My whole life, I knew that I was gay. I knew what it was. I knew I had to hide it. I knew for a fact I would never tell anyone," said Bass.
He eventually told everyone. The boy from Mississippi is now the man behind a documentary about being young and gay in his home state.
"If I can change any person's mind into being OK with someone being gay, I'm happy with that," said Bass.
Bass' journey is just one of those featured in "Mississippi I Am." The documentary is part of this year's Outfest.
"These film festivals lead into bigger things, and that's why we do them. We want as many eyeballs as possible on our work. We think it's such a great message," said Bass.
In the film, Bass attends a same-sex prom with some teenagers trying to change the way people see them.
"We do sometimes forget about how easy it is for a gay person to live in a city like L.A., New York or London. We sometimes forget about the small towns and the people like from my state, Mississippi," said Bass.
"Mississippi I Am" is directed by Katherine Linton.
"Our hope is it gets picked up for distribution, goes to more festivals, airs on television, goes into schools. We hope it goes as far and wide as it possibly can," said Linton.
Linton's favorite scene in the film involves two friends - one gay and one taught not to accept homosexuality.
"One is talking about girlfriend troubles. The other is talking about boyfriend troubles. And they are fishing. A conversation like that, without tension, is so beautiful," Linton said.
"Mississippi I Am" plays at Outfest on Saturday.
celebrity, entertainment, george pennacchio
- Suspect arrested in South LA teen kidnapping 14 min ago
- Claremont sexual predator ID'd, arrested 22 min ago
- 7.2-magnitude earthquake strikes Mexico
- E-cigarette ban in public to go into effect 59 min ago
- Prop 8 lawyer's views on gay marriage changing
- Whittier standoff with hostage ends peacefully
- 4 sought in Highland home-invasion robbery
- S.Korean ferry: Vice principal commits suicide
- Mount Everest avalanche kills at least 12
- abcnews: Workers caught filing false injury claims
- Pro-Russian insurgents ignore diplomatic deal
- Sub scours ocean for missing Malaysian jet 22 min ago
- Bryan Singer's accuser talks alleged abuse
- OTRC: 'Scandal' recap - 5 highlights (Spoilers)
- Cockfighting ring busted in Riverside County
4 min ago
- Covered California enrolls nearly 1.4M people
50 min ago