Lance Bass shares personal story in documentary, 'Mississippi I Am'
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Lance Bass, a former 'N Sync star, is now the executive producer of the documentary, "Mississippi I Am." He's also sharing some of his personal story.
"My whole life, I knew that I was gay. I knew what it was. I knew I had to hide it. I knew for a fact I would never tell anyone," said Bass.
He eventually told everyone. The boy from Mississippi is now the man behind a documentary about being young and gay in his home state.
"If I can change any person's mind into being OK with someone being gay, I'm happy with that," said Bass.
Bass' journey is just one of those featured in "Mississippi I Am." The documentary is part of this year's Outfest.
"These film festivals lead into bigger things, and that's why we do them. We want as many eyeballs as possible on our work. We think it's such a great message," said Bass.
In the film, Bass attends a same-sex prom with some teenagers trying to change the way people see them.
"We do sometimes forget about how easy it is for a gay person to live in a city like L.A., New York or London. We sometimes forget about the small towns and the people like from my state, Mississippi," said Bass.
"Mississippi I Am" is directed by Katherine Linton.
"Our hope is it gets picked up for distribution, goes to more festivals, airs on television, goes into schools. We hope it goes as far and wide as it possibly can," said Linton.
Linton's favorite scene in the film involves two friends - one gay and one taught not to accept homosexuality.
"One is talking about girlfriend troubles. The other is talking about boyfriend troubles. And they are fishing. A conversation like that, without tension, is so beautiful," Linton said.
"Mississippi I Am" plays at Outfest on Saturday.
celebrity, entertainment, george pennacchio
- Deputies gun down armed man during fight
- Loot-seeking vandals trash Palmdale church
- Calif. law takes effect on microstamping guns
- Machete-wielding man shot by Inglewood police
- 1 arrested, 2 outstanding after VC pursuit
- IE woman punches officer, tries to take Taser
- Deputies rescue stranded Swedish family
- Body found near area where hiker went missing
- Tornadoes sweep across Kansas and Oklahoma
- abcnews: 1st lady jokes about president's failures
- Beckham in tears as he bids farewell to Paris
- 'Star Trek' tops box office with $70.6M debut
- Swift to perform at Billboard Music Awards
- OTRC: Jennifer Lawrence's accused stalker arrested