Fred Willard arrested, caught with pants down in Hollywood adult theater
HOLLYWOOD, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Actor Fred Willard was arrested Wednesday night for lewd conduct in a Hollywood adult movie theater.
Willard, 72, was taken into custody at about 8 p.m. after officers caught the actor with his pants down in the Tiki Theatre on Santa Monica Boulevard, according to the Los Angeles Police Department. He was released from jail a short time later.
Willard's spokesman said in a statement, "With all do respect to the individual officer, our belief is that Fred did nothing in any violation of any law. We will be working vigorously to clear his name in this matter."
Theater manager Kazi Jafor said he witnessed the arrest.
"That guy was scared," Jafor said, who added that there are rules posted at the door warning people how to behave.
Police say they often monitor adult theaters to see whether illicit acts are going on in a commercial business.
"All the late-night guys, everybody's going to make jokes about this. I can't make jokes about Fred Willard," said celebrity columnist Jeannie Wolfe. "I feel so sad that he publically humiliated himself."
Willard is widely respected in Hollywood, known for his roles in the films "Best in Show," "Anchorman" and "Waiting for Guffman." He was nominated four times for Emmys for guest roles on "Modern Family" and "Everybody Loves Raymond." He is currently the host of "Trust Us With Your Life." An ABC spokesman said "Trust Us With Your Life" will continue to air as scheduled despite Willard's arrest.Since news of his arrest, Willard has been dropped by PBS from "Market Warriors." He had been the host and narrator.
celebrity, arrest, television, abc, entertainment, carlos granda
- Suspect arrested in Hollywood severed head case
- Man found dead in ransacked Westmont home
- Malaysia missing jet: 'Every angle' probed
- Car crashes into OC yard; 2 killed, 1 injured
- Stage collapses at OC high school; 25 injured
- Suspect arrested for Dana Point shooting
- 3 attacked by bees in La Canada Flintridge
- Pedestrians fatally struck in Norwalk ID'd
- 6.9-magnitude earthquake hits NorCal coast
- Pistorius vomits during graphic testimony
- abcnews: Dog helps Army vet overcome PTSD
- Effexor recalled due to possible contamination
- 'Band of Brothers' vet William Guarnere dies at 90 49 min ago
- OTRC: Stacy Keibler weds boyfriend Jared Pobre