'Selena' star Lupe Ontiveros dies at age 69
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Lupe Ontiveros, best known for her role in the movie "Selena," has died at the age of 69 of liver cancer, family confirmed on Friday.
Ontiveros' son Elias said the actress died Thursday night at Presbyterian Hospital in Whittier with her family by her side.
Ontiveros had a 35-year career in Hollywood, but she was best known for playing Yolanda Saldivar, the woman who murdered singer Selena, in the 1997 film "Selena," starring Jennifer Lopez.
She also appeared on ABC's "Desperate Housewives" as Juanita Solis, the mother-in-law of Eva Longoria's character Gabrielle, which earned her an Emmy nomination in 2004.
Longoria tweeted about Ontiveros' death, saying, "I'm deeply saddened at the news of my dear friend Lupe Ontiveros passing. She was more than a colleague to me, she was my family. My heart is with your family Lupe."
Ontiveros also appeared in dozens and TV shows, including "As Good As It Gets," "The Goonies," "Weeds" and "Southland."
L.A. Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa released a statement on her death, calling her "one of the most prolific Mexican American actresses of our time."
"It is with deep sadness yet much pride that we reflect upon a woman whose immense contributions opened the door for Latinos and touched so many through her artistic talent," he said. "My thoughts and prayers are with her family and friends during this difficult time."
celebrity, famous death, entertainment
- Oklahoma tornado: 20 children among 51 killed
- Undersheriff Tanaka speaks out against Baca
- Garcetti, Greuel make final stops across LA
- 'DWTS': Zendaya holds lead in final four
- LAPD officer accused of lewd acts w/ 2 girls
- 3 charged in bizarre East LA '12 bank robbery
- Video: Pit bull owners rally against discrimination
- Girl escapes brazen kidnap attempt in OC
- UC hospital workers to strike over higher pay
- abcnews: Hofstra student killed in police standoff
- NKorea on day 3 of short-range weapon launches
- Experts warn about testosterone supplements 54 min ago
- Ray Manzarek, The Doors founder, dies at 74
- OTRC: 'Dancing With The Stars' recap - week 10