Neil Diamond receives Walk of Fame star
HOLLYWOOD, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Legendary singer-songwriter Neil Diamond received a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame on Friday, honoring a nearly five-decade career as one of the most popular recording artists and live performers of all time.
"He is one of those people, rare in entertainment, who America loves," said winger-songwriter Randy Newman, who spoke at the morning ceremony in front of the Capitol Records building on Vine Street. "There have been less than 10 in the century, people like Bing Crosby and Judy Garland."
That was evident by the large turnout of fans at the ceremony. Diamond said L.A. has always been supportive.
Diamond said he wanted to "thank Los Angeles for taking this kid from Brooklyn to their hearts and for being so wonderful to me. I thank you all so much."
During his career, Diamond sold more than 125 million albums worldwide and had 37 top 10 singles. His greatest hits include "Cherry, Cherry," "Kentucky Woman," "Sweet Caroline," "Love on the Rocks" and "Heartlight."
Diamond's star - the 2,475th one awarded - coincides with his return to the Greek Theatre 40 years after he recorded "Hot August Night."
He was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2011.
City News Service contributed to this report.
hollywood, celebrity, entertainment, george pennacchio
- Reseda shooting: 1 dead, 1 injured, 1 arrested 58 min ago
- Tour bus crash in Corona: 91-yr-old man dies
- Target probe focuses on processing centers
- Pope's message to end hunger hits home in IE
- Slain chase suspect's family files $20M claim
- Indio High students, faculty tested for TB
- Fallbrook tour bus crash: Victim identified
- Judge orders hospital to keep girl on support 11 min ago
- Helicopter gunships used in MX resort battle
- abcnews: One of Van Gogh's last paintings unveiled
- San Jose company recalls sausage products
- Jewelry shopping tips: How to avoid rip-offs
- Ned Vizzini, popular author, dies at age 32 37 min ago
- OTRC: Beyonce kisses Madonna's daughter (Photo)