Neil Diamond receives Walk of Fame star
HOLLYWOOD, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Legendary singer-songwriter Neil Diamond received a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame on Friday, honoring a nearly five-decade career as one of the most popular recording artists and live performers of all time.
"He is one of those people, rare in entertainment, who America loves," said winger-songwriter Randy Newman, who spoke at the morning ceremony in front of the Capitol Records building on Vine Street. "There have been less than 10 in the century, people like Bing Crosby and Judy Garland."
That was evident by the large turnout of fans at the ceremony. Diamond said L.A. has always been supportive.
Diamond said he wanted to "thank Los Angeles for taking this kid from Brooklyn to their hearts and for being so wonderful to me. I thank you all so much."
During his career, Diamond sold more than 125 million albums worldwide and had 37 top 10 singles. His greatest hits include "Cherry, Cherry," "Kentucky Woman," "Sweet Caroline," "Love on the Rocks" and "Heartlight."
Diamond's star - the 2,475th one awarded - coincides with his return to the Greek Theatre 40 years after he recorded "Hot August Night."
He was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2011.
City News Service contributed to this report.
hollywood, celebrity, entertainment, george pennacchio
- Tornado hits Oklahoma City suburbs; 51 dead 35 min ago
- Girl escapes brazen kidnap attempt in OC
- 3 charged in bizarre East LA '12 bank robbery
- Greuel, Garcetti make final stops across LA
- Video: Pit bull owners rally against discrimination
- Elephant meat, dead primate seized at LAX
- Laguna Beach sex assault suspect surrenders
- Fire near Frazier Park 90 percent contained
- UC hospital workers to strike over higher pay
- abcnews: Hofstra student killed in police standoff
- 2 killed in Turkey hot air balloon crash
- NKorea on day 3 of short-range weapon launches
- Ray Manzarek, The Doors founder, dies at 74 39 min ago
- OTRC: Seth MacFarlane 'unable' to host Oscars again
- Monstrous tornado touches down in Oklahoma
35 min ago