Garth Brooks sings at 'Teachers Rock' concert
DOWNTOWN LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Celebrities and teachers gathered in downtown Los Angeles Tuesday night for "Teacher's Rock," a concert celebrating teachers and benefiting education programs.
Country singer Garth Brooks opened the night and received a standing ovation, but it was the audience of teachers that he was there to recognize, including those teachers who had an impact on his own life.
"They are great influences, and thank God they are who they are," said Brooks.
The special tribute concert featured a star-studded lineup of artists, including country music's Dierks Bentley, the pop group Fun and two-time Grammy award winner Josh Groban.
Big names from television and film were also there to give a nod to teachers. Proceeds from the concert go to three charities that benefit teachers and education.
Academy Award nominee Viola Davis credits her teachers, many of whom are still in her life, for much of her success.
"These teachers literally went to my wedding. They come over to my house. We have dinner. Still today, and it's been a long time ago," said Davis.
Teachers Rock was a night to put the politics of education aside, and the teachers in the crowd were feeling the love.
"I think sometimes we get a bad rap, and I think it's nice people are realizing we do do a lot," said teacher Brittany Yarak.
In the mix of entertainment, there were messages for the teachers and for the students.
"Listen. That's it. These people are trying to help you. These teachers, they love you with all their heart, and don't fight them as much as I did," said Brooks.
school, celebrity, charity, entertainment, leslie miller
- London attack victim was a serving soldier
- Glendora yard dug up in 35-year-old cold case
- Oklahoma tornado victims' names released
- Bear cub breaks into a kitchen in Duarte 52 min ago
- OC sheriff's reserve sergeant found beaten
- Bill proposed to reduce night airport noise
- Model murder trial: Case in hands of jury
- UC hospital workers' strike ends after 2 days 13 min ago
- abcnews: New Susan Powell video released
- Teen birth rate: Nearly all states see drop
- Arias jury stuck but must keep deliberating
- 'Hangover' films changed lives of the stars
- OTRC: Critics' Choice Television Awards nominees
- Tornado relief drives: More than $211K raised