Julia Child's would-be 100th birthday celebrated in Pasadena
PASADENA, Calif. (KABC) -- Julia Child's would-be 100th birthday is being celebrated by the legendary chef's hometown of Pasadena on Wednesday.
Green Street Restaurant in Pasadena is planning to serve cocktails inspired by Child, and other restaurants are planning to serve various dishes inspired by the chef.
Child is considered America's greatest chef. The food icon introduced French cooking to the masses with her famous cooking show and her equally famous book, "Mastering the Art of French Cooking."
"She was one of the first teachers that kind of inspired me because she told me step-by-step how to cook. And she talked about food from all over the world, some things I've never tried, but yeah, she was really an inspiration. Happy birthday," said Monterey Park resident Kay Manning, who was having breakfast at the Green Street Restaurant.
She was born in Pasadena in 1912, and she was one of the first American female chefs to have her own cooking show. Her book is considered one of the most influential works in American cookbook history. She died in 2004 but not without leaving a legacy for chefs around the world.
The chef's birthday is being marked with decadent menus at many restaurants across the country. Some eateries in Pasadena are even encouraging patrons to dress in 1950s, 60s or 70s attire for a special simultaneous toast scheduled at 7 p.m. Wednesday.
Other Pasadena restaurants commemorating Child's birthday include American Bistro, The StillRoom, The Royce at the Langham and Vertical Wine Bistro. The full list can be found at www.pasadenarestaurantweek.com.
celebrity, food, pasadena, entertainment
- Boy Scouts vote to accept openly gay boys 2 min ago
- Palmdale boy, 8, may have been tortured
- LA gang coordinated from Kansas house: arrest
- Cold case: Cadaver dog fails to pick up scent
- 3 arrested for stealing gas from Fontana station
- 5-acre brush fire burns near Castaic school 17 min ago
- Eric Garcetti meets with Mayor Villaraigosa
- Okla. tornado cleanup slowed by thunderstorms
- abcnews: NY man rescued after month of alleged torture 48 min ago
- Jodi Arias sentencing: Judge declares mistrial 14 min ago
- London attack investigation: 2 more arrests
- Charles Ramsey promised free burgers for life
- SI model accepts local teen's prom proposal
- OTRC: Jennifer Aniston plays stripper in 'Millers'
- Cool Kid creates a club to help seniors
12 min ago