Tony Scott's family unaware of reported inoperable brain cancer
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Tony Scott's family says they were unaware the director had brain cancer, Los Angeles County Coroner Ed Winter told Eyewitness News on Monday.
This came after a source close to Scott told ABC News the director had inoperable brain cancer.
It was not yet clear if and when Scott was diagnosed with cancer. An autopsy was scheduled for Monday.
Scott died Sunday after apparently jumping off a Los Angeles County bridge, according to the coroner's office.
Officials said the 68 year old jumped from the Vincent Thomas Bridge that links San Pedro with Terminal Island. Several people called 911 around 12:35 p.m. reporting that someone had jumped from the bridge.
A dive team with Los Angeles Port Police pulled the body from the murky water several hours later, officials said. Scott's body was taken to a dock in Wilmington and turned over to the county coroner's office.
"I can confirm that Tony Scott has indeed passed away," said Simon Halls, the publicist for director Ridley Scott, Tony Scott's brother. "The family asks for privacy at this time."
Halls did not comment on the circumstances surrounding the death.
Scott's Toyota Prius was found parked on one of the eastbound lanes of the bridge. Several notes written to loved ones were found in the car and one was also discovered in his office, but what the notes said is not being released. Investigators aren't classifying them as suicide notes, although authorities initially indicated a note found in Scott's car was a suicide note.
The British-born Scott also directed Hollywood blockbusters "Days of Thunder" and "Beverly Hills Cop II."
"Tony was always sensitive to the needs of an actor. We've lost a wonderful, creative talent," said actor Gene Hackman in a statement.
In a tweet Sunday, director Ron Howard said, "No more Tony Scott movies. Tragic day."
Scott leaves behind a wife and twin sons.
ABC News and the Associated Press contributed to this report.
famous death, celebrity, entertainment, christina salvo
- Ambulance crash: 4 injured in Signal Hill 2 min ago
- DUI driver slams car into LA home; girl dead
- 2 nurses stabbed in separate hospital attacks
- Teen survives CA to HI flight in wheel well 8 min ago
- Alleged arsonist sets fire in Hollywood 58 min ago
- LAPD officer hurt in Northridge 4-car crash
- Oxnard pedestrian hit at intersection, dies
- Bus crash: Driver remembered as a 'hero'
- Drone in Yemen kills 9 al Qaeda members
- SKorea ferry accident death toll at 58
- abcnews: Car bursts into flames in lion habitat
- Kevin Sharp, country singer, dies at age 43
- 'Capt. America' tops box office for 3rd week
- OTRC: Kate Mara on 'Transcendence,' terrorist role