Cirque du Soleil auditions: A look behind the scenes
CULVER CITY, Calif. (KABC) -- Over the past four days, some of the best athletes and aerial performers have been showing off their skills in Culver City, trying to land a job with Cirque du Soleil.
"We are looking for artists that have a really good technical base. They must be able to evoke an emotion and put across their artistic feelings," said acrobatic advisor Lisa Jones.
Some artists, like Simone Lazar, have been doing this for years.
"I started dancing and taking circus arts, just general circus arts, when I was 7," said Lazar.
Others came to the circus in a roundabout way.
"I wanted to take gymnastics when I was a little girl, and I had to take swimming lessons instead. So I grew up and ran away with the circus, pretty much," said Ann Stimmel, an aerial silk artist.
All agree that this is the opportunity of a lifetime. For upcoming auditions, they are looking for some new moves and inspiration.
"These general auditions are really interesting in that we are not really looking for anything. We are hoping to find something," said acrobatic coach Stacy Clark.
All of those who auditioned said they hope to have that special something to make them stand out.
"I threw out a lot of like really hard tricks...took a bunch of risks, which is basically what my entire life has been, just try to go all out," said Samuel Ortiz, an aerial hoop artist.
entertainment, bri winkler
- CO school shooting suspect dead, says sheriff 24 min ago
- Car bomb plot thwarted at Kansas airport 29 min ago
- Body found near East Los Angeles College
- Help Garth stuff buses full of toys in Canoga Park
- SoCal boy's cancer fight inspires
- OC homicide: Roommate sought for questioning 41 min ago
- Man burned in fire at Long Beach VA Hospital
- 24 students arrested in school drug ring case
- 2nd woman in purported mercy killings ID'd
- Mega Millions jackpot rockets to $425 million 54 min ago
- Mom with cancer inspires daughter's friend
- Bruno Mars named Billboard's 2013 top artist
- Beyonce releases surprise album on iTunes
- OTRC: Bradley Cooper talks 'American Hustle'