Tom Cruise, Church of Scientology deny Vanity Fair story
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- The article in the October issue of Vanity Fair claims the Church of Scientology auditioned possible love interests for Hollywood superstar Tom Cruise. It's a claim both Cruise and the church are vehemently denying.
Maureen Orth's cover story makes the bombshell allegations that the church used videotaped auditions to find Cruise, not only a devout Scientologist, but "a drop dead beautiful true believer to share his life."
According to Vanity Fair, they found that person: Nazanin Boniadi, an Iranian-born, London-raised 25-year-old actress.
The article claims Boniadi underwent a month-long vetting process, where she was asked to reveal every detail of "her innermost secrets, including every detail of her sex life." The article also says the church told her to darken her hair to "emphasize her ethnicity" and encouraged her to break up with her boyfriend, who she was reportedly hoping to marry.
Then in November 2004, the article reports, Boniadi flew first class to New York to meet Cruise for the first time for her dream date, touring the Empire State Building, a sushi dinner at Nobu, and private ice skating at Rockefeller Center.
Orth reports Boniadi and Cruise became inseparable, but he also continued to groom her, including allegedly wanting her "incisor teeth filed down."
The article says the relationship began to hit sour notes when Boniadi wasn't as publicly affectionate as Cruise would have liked, and when he felt she wasn't sufficiently respectful of David Miscavige, the leader of the Church of Scientology. Boniadi's relationship with Cruise abruptly ended in January 2005.
Representatives for Cruise say the entire report is false, and a Scientology spokesman says, "There was no project, secret or otherwise, ever conducted by the church to find a bride. The allegation and entire premise of the Vanity Fair article is totally false."
celebrity, entertainment, leslie miller
- Moorpark High closed after threatening note 10 min ago
- Rain, winds moving across Southern California 9 min ago
- Target security breach: 40M possibly affected
- Students allegedly hack system, change grades
- 2 taken to hospital after school bus crash
- Body found in Corona; investigation underway
- Kelly Thomas trial: Defense rests its case
- Fire erupts at strip mall in Hawthorne
- Mega Millions: Georgia winner comes forward
- abcnews: Renewed Gacy probe reunites family
- India wants NYC arrested diplomat case dropped
- Mexico resort shootout: 5 dead in Rocky Point
- 'Anchorman 2' is overhyped, but still funny
- OTRC: Kristen Johnston: I have Lupus Myelitis
- Latest weather with Bri Winkler
24 min ago