'Possession' holds No. 1 at weak box office
HOLLYWOOD, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- It was an extremely sluggish weekend at the box office. Total revenues are estimated at $67 million, which would make this the worst weekend at the box office since the weekend after Sept. 11.
It marked the first time since 2008 that no film managed to crack the $10 million mark.
"The Possession" occupied the top spot for the second with in a row, earning $9.5 million. The fright flick stars Kyra Sedgwick and Jeffrey Dean Morgan, who play parents to a girl who is possessed by a demon.
The bootlegging tale "Lawless" starring Shia LaBeouf, Tom Hardy and Jessica Chastain kept a lock on the No. 2 position with $6 million.
"The Words," featuring Bradley Cooper and Zoe Saldana, opened in third place with $5 million.
1. "The Possession," $9.5 million ($3.5 million international).
2. "Lawless," $6 million ($1.4 million international).
3. "The Words," $5 million.
4. "The Expendables 2," $4.7 million ($14 million international).
5. "The Bourne Legacy," $4 million ($13 million international).
7. "The Odd Life of Timothy Green," $3.6 million.
8. "The Campaign," $3.5 million.
9. "The Dark Knight Rises," $3.3 million ($13 million international).
10. "2016: Obama's America," $3.3 million.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
movie news, entertainment
- DUI driver slams car into LA home; girl dead 15 min ago
- Pope Francis, crowd joyously celebrate Easter
- Delivery man fatally shot in South Los Angeles
- Bus crash: Driver remembered as a 'hero'
- 2 boys molested at different South Bay parks
- Orange County carport collapses; no one hurt
- East Hollywood fire: Garage heavily damaged
- Free admission offered to all national parks
- 13th body pulled following Everest avalanche
- Drone in Yemen kills 9 al Qaeda members
- abcnews: Laughing can improve memory 41 min ago
- Boxer Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76 45 min ago
- Mickey Rooney buried at Hollywood Forever
- OTRC: Miley Cyrus postpones whole tour