'Possession' holds No. 1 at weak box office
HOLLYWOOD, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- It was an extremely sluggish weekend at the box office. Total revenues are estimated at $67 million, which would make this the worst weekend at the box office since the weekend after Sept. 11.
It marked the first time since 2008 that no film managed to crack the $10 million mark.
"The Possession" occupied the top spot for the second with in a row, earning $9.5 million. The fright flick stars Kyra Sedgwick and Jeffrey Dean Morgan, who play parents to a girl who is possessed by a demon.
The bootlegging tale "Lawless" starring Shia LaBeouf, Tom Hardy and Jessica Chastain kept a lock on the No. 2 position with $6 million.
"The Words," featuring Bradley Cooper and Zoe Saldana, opened in third place with $5 million.
1. "The Possession," $9.5 million ($3.5 million international).
2. "Lawless," $6 million ($1.4 million international).
3. "The Words," $5 million.
4. "The Expendables 2," $4.7 million ($14 million international).
5. "The Bourne Legacy," $4 million ($13 million international).
7. "The Odd Life of Timothy Green," $3.6 million.
8. "The Campaign," $3.5 million.
9. "The Dark Knight Rises," $3.3 million ($13 million international).
10. "2016: Obama's America," $3.3 million.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
movie news, entertainment
- Fallbrook bus crash: 1 dead, several injured 4 min ago
- Tour bus overturns on 15 Freeway in Corona 14 min ago
- London theater partial collapse; 75+ hurt 55 min ago
- Rain, winds moving across Southern California 26 min ago
- Moorpark High closed after threatening note
- School hacking: Tutor wanted for questioning
- India wants NYC arrested diplomat case dropped
- Rodman in NKorea to prep for basketball game
- Kate Middleton phone messages read in court
- abcnews: Missing medical resident's car found
- Kobe Bryant injured again, will miss 6 weeks
- Katie Couric's talk show to end this summer
- Farrah Fawcett portrait belongs to O'Neal
- OTRC: Kristen Johnston diagnosed w/ Lupus Myelitis