Dustin Hoffman, David Letterman among Kennedy Center honorees
WASHINGTON (KABC) -- Oscar-winning actor Dustin Hoffman is among seven people who will receive the 2012 Kennedy Center Honors, the performing arts center announced Wednesday.
The award is the nation's highest honor for those who have influenced American culture through the arts. Hoffman is being recognized for his work as one of the most versatile actors. He has played lead roles ranging from "All the President's Men" and "Rain Man" to "Tootsie."
Hoffman, now 75, said in an interview that he was last in Washington for Obama's inauguration in 2009.
Also on the Kennedy Center's list this year are late night talk show host David Letterman, Chicago bluesman Buddy Guy, the surviving members of the rock band Led Zeppelin and ballerina Natalia Makarova.
Letterman appeared surprised at how culturally important his Top 10 lists have been.
"I believe recognition at this prestigious level confirms by belief that there has been a mix-up," he said in a written statement. "I am still grateful to be included."
The honorees will have dinner with Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton and a reception hosted by President Barack Obama. The honorees will be saluted by fellow artists Dec. 2 in a show to be broadcast Dec. 26 on CBS.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
celebrity, president barack obama, washington d.c., entertainment
- LAPD Officer Lee honored at funeral service
- 2 dead after car plows through SXSW crowd
- NYC explosion kills 7; rescuers resume search
- OC high-speed chase ends in police shooting
- Inmate escapes jail a day after sentencing 11 min ago
- Ex-assemblyman arrested for domestic violence 26 min ago
- Flasher sought for exposing self at Brea Mall
- LA sheriff candidates faceoff in 1st debate
- Ex-Manson follower granted parole for 3rd time
- Malaysia plane search widens toward India
- abcnews: Amazon accused of cheating on free shipping
- Soldier pops out of box, surprises daughter
- Elderly couple's dog saved by rescue group
- OTRC: Elizabeth Olsen engaged, report says