Lindsay Lohan arrested for leaving scene of accident in NYC
NEW YORK (KABC) -- Lindsay Lohan has been arrested for leaving the scene of an accident in New York City, police confirmed.
The actress was arrested at about 2:30 a.m. ET Wednesday after her car allegedly brushed up against a Manhattan hotel employee. She was trying to find parking in an alleyway next to the Dream Hotel in Chelsea, and was reportedly honking to move people out of the way at the time of the incident.
The employee, reportedly a 34-year-old man, allegedly confronted her and some words were exchanged. Lohan and a few friends went into a nearby club, and that's when the employee called police.
When Lohan came out about 30 minutes later, police arrested her. She was issued a desk appearance ticket and released right away, pending a later court date.
Officials believe alcohol did not play a role in what they're calling a "low-speed" crash.
Two other men were in the car with Lohan at the time of the incident. They were not charged. Lohan was driving a 2010 Porsche Cayenne during the crash, though the car is not registered under her name.
One legal expert does not think this latest arrest will violate her probation in California.
"Technically it can, but because once again, it's a ticky-tacky offense, I doubt too many judges will toss her in jail as a result. I think it's going to be a headache in New York, and she'll just have to fix it there," said Dana Cole, an ABC News legal analyst.
Steve Honig, a Lohan representative, released the following statement to Eyewitness News Wednesday morning:
"While some of the facts are still being gathered, it appears that this is much ado about nothing. We are confident this matter will be cleared up in the coming weeks and the claims being made against Lindsay will be proven untrue."
This is the latest car accident involving Lohan. She was arrested for a DUI in 2007. In June, she was involved in a crash on Pacific Coast Highway while on her way to a film shoot. Last year, she was given informal probation for allegedly stealing a necklace from a Venice jewelry store.
Police say the hotel has surveillance video of the entire incident, and that video will be released to the public at some point.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
new york, accident, car crash, celebrity, entertainment
- Fallbrook bus crash leaves 1 dead, 22 hurt 27 min ago
- Tour bus rolls over on 15 Freeway in Corona 28 min ago
- London theater partial collapse; 80+ hurt
- Rain, winds moving across Southern California
- Moorpark High closed after threatening note 30 min ago
- School hacking: Tutor wanted for questioning
- India wants NYC arrested diplomat case dropped
- Rodman in NKorea to prep for basketball game
- Kate Middleton phone messages read in court 8 min ago
- abcnews: Missing medical resident's car found 38 min ago
- Kobe Bryant injured again, will miss 6 weeks
- Katie Couric's talk show to end this summer 8 min ago
- Farrah Fawcett portrait belongs to O'Neal 23 min ago
- OTRC: Kristen Johnston diagnosed w/ Lupus Myelitis 25 min ago