Scarlett Johansson returns to Broadway, set to play Maggie in 'Cat on a Hot Tin Roof'
NEW YORK (KABC) -- Scarlett Johansson is set to play Maggie the Cat in Rob Ashford's 2012 Broadway revival of Tennessee William's "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof".
The Tony-Award winning actress will be tapping into a Southern accent this winter to play the role made most famous by Elizabeth Taylor in the 1958 film adaptation of the play.
"I am so thrilled to return to Broadway and feel incredibly fortunate to be doing so with Rob Ashford and such gifted actors," Johansson said.
Johansson will be starring alongside Benjamin Walker, who will play her husband and aging football hero Brick, Ciaran Hinds, set to play patriarch Big Daddy, and Debra Monk, who will play Big Mama.
It will be the actress' first time back since winning a Tony in the Arthur Miller play "A View from a Bridge."
The revival of "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof" will begin previews at the Richard Rodgers Theater on Dec. 18 and open on Jan. 17. It marks the play's fifth revival on Broadway.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
new york, celebrity, media, entertainment
- Shoppers flock to stores for last-minute gifts
- Driver shot, injured on 14 Fwy in Palmdale
- Reseda shooting: 1 dead, 1 injured, 1 arrested
- Astronauts tackle urgent spacewalking repairs
- Tour bus crash in Corona: 91-yr-old man dies
- Pope's message to end hunger hits home in IE
- Big Sur wildfire is now fully contained
- BART, labor union leaders reach new deal
- NJ mall carjacking, shooting: 4 men arrested
- US holiday travelers brace for foul weather
- abcnews: Army's new weapon can shoot down drones
- US military aircraft hit in S. Sudan, 4 hurt
- Beyonce surprises fans at Mass. Wal-Mart
- OTRC: 13 Best TV Shows of 2013 (with spoilers)