Scarlett Johansson returns to Broadway, set to play Maggie in 'Cat on a Hot Tin Roof'
NEW YORK (KABC) -- Scarlett Johansson is set to play Maggie the Cat in Rob Ashford's 2012 Broadway revival of Tennessee William's "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof".
The Tony-Award winning actress will be tapping into a Southern accent this winter to play the role made most famous by Elizabeth Taylor in the 1958 film adaptation of the play.
"I am so thrilled to return to Broadway and feel incredibly fortunate to be doing so with Rob Ashford and such gifted actors," Johansson said.
Johansson will be starring alongside Benjamin Walker, who will play her husband and aging football hero Brick, Ciaran Hinds, set to play patriarch Big Daddy, and Debra Monk, who will play Big Mama.
It will be the actress' first time back since winning a Tony in the Arthur Miller play "A View from a Bridge."
The revival of "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof" will begin previews at the Richard Rodgers Theater on Dec. 18 and open on Jan. 17. It marks the play's fifth revival on Broadway.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
new york, celebrity, media, entertainment
- Kidnap suspect search shuts down DTLA streets 33 min ago
- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, Nobel laureate, dies
- 1 dead, 9 injured in Fontana accident on 10W
- S. Korea ferry: Evacuation order delayed
- IE man found guilty of molesting 3 girls 22 min ago
- Police: 2 South LA fires may be connected
- Child molestation charges for teacher dropped
- Suspicious package found at post office near USC
- LAX Terminal 7 partially evacuated over threat
- abcnews: Victim's mom halts killer's execution
- Oscar Pistorius trial: Forensic expert faulted
- Toddler found playing inside toy claw machine
- Key dates announced for 87th Oscars in 2015
- OTRC: 'Mrs. Doubtfire 2' planned, child star reacts