Scarlett Johansson returns to Broadway, set to play Maggie in 'Cat on a Hot Tin Roof'
NEW YORK (KABC) -- Scarlett Johansson is set to play Maggie the Cat in Rob Ashford's 2012 Broadway revival of Tennessee William's "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof".
The Tony-Award winning actress will be tapping into a Southern accent this winter to play the role made most famous by Elizabeth Taylor in the 1958 film adaptation of the play.
"I am so thrilled to return to Broadway and feel incredibly fortunate to be doing so with Rob Ashford and such gifted actors," Johansson said.
Johansson will be starring alongside Benjamin Walker, who will play her husband and aging football hero Brick, Ciaran Hinds, set to play patriarch Big Daddy, and Debra Monk, who will play Big Mama.
It will be the actress' first time back since winning a Tony in the Arthur Miller play "A View from a Bridge."
The revival of "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof" will begin previews at the Richard Rodgers Theater on Dec. 18 and open on Jan. 17. It marks the play's fifth revival on Broadway.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
new york, celebrity, media, entertainment
- Boy Scouts vote to accept openly gay boys
- Palmdale boy allegedly tortured; 2 in custody
- LA gang coordinated from Kansas house: arrest 53 min ago
- Jodi Arias sentencing: Judge declares mistrial
- Cold case: Cadaver dog fails to pick up scent
- Citibank in Tarzana robbed; suspects get away
- IE school, parents make push for crosswalk
- 5-acre brush fire burns near Castaic school
- Eric Garcetti meets with Mayor Villaraigosa
- I-5 bridge collapses in Wash.; people in water 1 min ago
- abcnews: NY man rescued after month of alleged torture
- London attack investigation: 2 more arrests
- SI model accepts local teen's prom proposal
- OTRC: Jennifer Aniston plays stripper in 'Millers'