'Hotel Transylvania' checks in at No. 1 at box office
HOLLYWOOD, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Late summer box office numbers have been in a real slump. But that turned around this weekend as moviegoers hit theaters to see Adam Sandler's new animated comedy, "Hotel Transylvania."
Sandler lends his voice to Dracula, the owner of a monster-filled hotel. The No. 1 film took in an estimated $43 million, making it one of the strongest starts ever for a movie opening in September.
In second place was "Looper," starring Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Bruce Willis. It took in $21.2 million. "End of Watch" was in third, followed by "Trouble with the Curve" and "House at the End of the Street."
The top 10 films of the weekend were:
1. "Hotel Transylvania," $43 million ($8.1 million international).
2. "Looper," $21.2 million ($8.5 million international).
3. "End of Watch," $8 million.
4. "Trouble with the Curve," $7.5 million.
5. "House at the End of the Street," $7.2 million ($1.5 million international).
6. "Pitch Perfect," $5.2 million.
7. "Finding Nemo," $4.1 million ($1.1 million international).
8. "Resident Evil: Retribution," $3 million ($20.7 million international).
9. "The Master," $2.75 million.
10. "Won't Back Down," $2.7 million.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
movie news, entertainment
- LAPD cop car crash: 1 officer dead, 1 injured 11 min ago
- Water main break floods Santa Ana neighborhood
- Blind man falls on tracks, survives train
- Bitcoin mystery: CA man denies being creator
- 2 dead in apparent Long Beach murder-suicide
- Baldwin Hills natural gas leak: Repairs done 41 min ago
- LB mayoral candidate mailer wrongly shows SD
- Playa del Rey home break-in caught on camera
- Beverly Hills High School gunman threat false
- Crimean, Russian politicians talk referendum
- abcnews: PA woman charged w/ teen's illegal abortion
- US economy adds 175,000 jobs in February 41 min ago
- Pistorius told guard 'everything is fine' 48 min ago
- OTRC: Miley Cyrus' Twitter jabs at Katy Perry