'Hotel Transylvania' checks in at No. 1 at box office
HOLLYWOOD, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Late summer box office numbers have been in a real slump. But that turned around this weekend as moviegoers hit theaters to see Adam Sandler's new animated comedy, "Hotel Transylvania."
Sandler lends his voice to Dracula, the owner of a monster-filled hotel. The No. 1 film took in an estimated $43 million, making it one of the strongest starts ever for a movie opening in September.
In second place was "Looper," starring Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Bruce Willis. It took in $21.2 million. "End of Watch" was in third, followed by "Trouble with the Curve" and "House at the End of the Street."
The top 10 films of the weekend were:
1. "Hotel Transylvania," $43 million ($8.1 million international).
2. "Looper," $21.2 million ($8.5 million international).
3. "End of Watch," $8 million.
4. "Trouble with the Curve," $7.5 million.
5. "House at the End of the Street," $7.2 million ($1.5 million international).
6. "Pitch Perfect," $5.2 million.
7. "Finding Nemo," $4.1 million ($1.1 million international).
8. "Resident Evil: Retribution," $3 million ($20.7 million international).
9. "The Master," $2.75 million.
10. "Won't Back Down," $2.7 million.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
movie news, entertainment
- Las Vegas casino shooting video released
- NASA: Cooling pump on space station shuts down
- Wife, sister shot in purported mercy killings
- Disabled councilman knocked out in Devore crash
- Mansion party arrests: Teens post pics online
- Human remains found in forest above Altadena
- 'Button-down Bandit' arrested after pursuit
- Prisoner reduction deadline pushed to April
- 1 dead in small plane crash off Molokai, Hawaii
- Senator's aide arrested on child porn charges
- abcnews: Bernie Madoff's 7 biggest lies
- Moving while sitting can prevent back pain
- SAG Awards: '12 Years a Slave' leads noms
- OTRC: Idina Menzel and Taye Diggs separate