Lindsay Lohan was bullied, she tweets to 'Katie' show
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Tuesday's episode of "Katie" focused on a young woman who was the target of intense bullying at her high school. After the show, Lindsay Lohan took to Twitter to show her support for the teenager, and revealed that she too was the victim of bullying.
Lohan is used to making headlines for her run-ins with the law. But Tuesday, it wasn't legal drama that had Lohan speaking out, it's bullying, and Tuesday's episode of the "Katie" show was really close to home for the 26-year-old actress.
The show featured a story on Whitney Kropp, a teen who was nominated for her school's homecoming court as a prank.
Lohan was so moved by Kropp's story that she tweeted to Katie Couric: "I think what you did today on your show for Whitney Kropp was lovely. It had me crying. I'd love to meet her."
Lohan went on to tweet: "I was actually bullied at my public school when I would leave to film. Whenever I came back, girls and boys would call me names.
"They would also mock me because of my home situation, when people found out that my father was in jail.
"They would yell things, try to trip me and more. I moved to home schooling instead. In 11th grade, I stuck it out for a while."
Kropp appeared on "Katie" with her mother and spoke about how she dealt with bullying. Even though she knew it was a prank, she chose to stay in the homecoming court and own the moment.
Lohan says she knows firsthand what it's like to be a victim of bullying.
She tweeted to Couric: "So I can relate to the girls that you spoke with on your show today. I appreciate you reaching out to them."
After Kropp went public with her story and her decision to attend homecoming and stand up to those who tried to embarrass her, there was an outpouring of public support and encouragement, including local businesses who offered their goods and services for the evening.
This month is National Bullying Prevention Month, a way to raise awareness about this issue. One in four kids is bullied - that's 13 million a year.
celebrity, entertainment, leslie miller
- Monterey Park fire engine crash injures 15 4 min ago
- Bell corruption: Rizzo gets 12 years in prison
- Arsonist sought in San Pedro Elks Lodge fire
- 287 missing, 9 dead in SKorea ferry disaster
- Google Glass robbers target Venice resident
- Victim found on 605 Freeway dies of injuries 44 min ago
- 'Luger Bandit' bank robbery suspect caught 19 min ago
- Distracted-driving trial: OC jury deadlocks
- Boston Marathon hoax: Suspect is bipolar
- abcnews: Missing girls case solved 40 years later
- Pro-Russian insurgents seize armored vehicles
- Jay-Z's Made in America festival announced
- Jenny McCarthy engaged to Donnie Wahlberg
- OTRC: AC/DC: Malcolm Young taking break
- Recycling used water in Orange County
41 min ago