Hoax brings police to Ashton Kutcher's Hollywood Hills house
HOLLYWOOD HILLS, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Someone reported a break-in at Ashton Kutcher's Hollywood Hills home above the Hollywood Reservoir Wednesday morning. The break-in turned out to be a hoax. It's the latest hoax involving a celebrity, a fact of life for police in Hollywood.
The 911 report was made by a teletype machine used by the hearing-impaired. The report was untraceable.
"Today around 11:08, Hollywood Station received a teletype, apparently from a deaf person, saying that three people had broken into a house and needed help," said LAPD Officer Cleon Joseph. "Officers arrived at scene and once they got to the scene, they went in and then pulled everybody out. But at the same time, it seems that someone called out to Mr. Kutcher and he sent his assistant out to meet with the police saying that there was no issues here, there may have been workers in there. Officers did their due diligence and pulled everyone out of the house, interviewed and questioned, and found that it was a hoax."
Police said they do not know where the teletype came from. It did specify Kutcher's home. Police say in the written 911 note, it said shots had been fired at the residence. That brought out a massive police response.
"There was a call of shots being fired. And when officers got to the residence, obviously there was no shots being fired," said Joseph. "They were all employees of the residence doing what they were supposed to be doing."
Wednesday's call was not the first prank call or teletype police have responded to involving a Hollywood celebrity recently. In early August, emergency operators got a call that a kidnapping and shooting had taken place at the Studio City home of singer/actress Miley Cyrus, who was not home at the time. No one else was home at the time. Police discovered it was a hoax.
Asked if police believe it's one suspect perpetuating these hoaxes, Joseph said, "That's information we just don't know at this time."
The investigation was ongoing Wednesday.
celebrity, entertainment, leo stallworth
- Vandals break in, trash church in Palmdale
- Machete-wielding man shot by Inglewood police
- Greuel, Garcetti rally for undecided voters
- Body found near area where hiker went missing
- Couple arrested in LA pot grow operation
- Police impersonator halts bus in Redlands
- Deaf Yorkie held for ransom is back home
- Frazier Park fire: Crews gain upper hand
- Ricin letter case: FBI searches WA apartment
- Virginia parade crash injures up to 60 people
- abcnews: 1st lady jokes about president's failures
- SKorea: NKorea fires 3 short-range missiles
- Kings lose to Sharks 2-1 in OT of Game 3
- OTRC: Kelly Rowland in talks to be 'X Factor' judge
- Local soldier killed on 1st Afghanistan tour
11 min ago