Tom Cruise sues magazines for calling him bad dad
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Tom Cruise is suing Life & Style and In Touch magazines for calling him a bad dad.
He's asking for $50 million in damages from the magazines' parent company, Bauer Publishing.
Cruise filed the defamation lawsuit Wednesday in Los Angeles over cover stories that suggested he'd "abandoned" his 6-year-old daughter, Suri.
Cruise's attorney, Bert Fields, says the actor is a caring father, and Suri is a "vital part of his life."
Fields released a statement saying "To say he has 'abandoned' her is a vicious lie. To say it in lurid headlines with a tearful picture of Suri is reprehensible."
Fields added that Cruise doesn't like to file lawsuits but felt it was appropriate because "sleaze peddlers" are trying to make money about the actor's relationship with his daughter.
If Cruise prevails, Fields said his client would give the money to charity.
Cruise and Suri's mother, Katie Holmes, divorced earlier this year after six years of marriage. The breakup has been tabloid fodder, and Suri often appears in entertainment magazines.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
celebrity, legal, entertainment
- Kidnap suspect search shuts down DTLA streets 7 min ago
- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, Nobel laureate, dies
- 1 dead, 9 injured in Fontana accident on 10W
- S. Korea ferry: Evacuation order delayed
- Police: 2 South LA fires may be connected
- Child molestation charges for teacher dropped
- Suspicious package found at post office near USC
- Female pedestrian struck, killed in Riverside
- LAX Terminal 7 partially evacuated over threat
- abcnews: Victim's mom halts killer's execution
- Oscar Pistorius trial: Forensic expert faulted
- Toddler found playing inside toy claw machine
- Key dates announced for 87th Oscars in 2015
- OTRC: 'Mrs. Doubtfire 2' planned, child star reacts