'Wreck-It Ralph' smashes box office with $49M
HOLLYWOOD, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Disney's "Wreck-It Ralph" had a strong opening weekend with $49.1 million.
"Wreck-It Ralph," a 3-D animated family film about a video game villain who tries to break free of his role, brought in the largest box office opening ever for Walt Disney Animation, though that figure doesn't include Disney's lucrative Pixar Animation.
Part of that had to do with superstorm Sandy, which kept thousands of East Coast children from going to school Friday.
Coming in second this weekend was Robert Zemeckis' "Flight," starring Denzel Washington, with $25 million.
In third was Ben Affleck's Iran hostage tale "Argo," which brought in $10.2 million.
The top 10 films of the weekend were:
1. "Wreck-It Ralph," $49.1 million.
2. "Flight," $25 million.
3. "Argo," $10.2 million.
4. "The Man With the Iron Fists," $10.2 million.
5. "Taken 2," $6 million.
6. "Cloud Atlas," $5.3 million.
7. "Hotel Transylvania," $4.5 million.
8. "Paranormal Activity 4," $4.3 million.
9. "Here Comes the Boom," $3.6 million.
10. "Silent Hill: Revelation," $3.3 million.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
movie news, entertainment
- Gusty winds elevate fire dangers in SoCal
- Compton teachers call in sick, want pay raise 56 min ago
- Bizarre East LA bank robbery trial begins
- Malaysia air force: Jet may have turned back
- Business leaders concerned about LADWP
- Roommate arrested in Westmont homicide
- 39-year-old man found dead in Apple Valley
- 5 measles cases in Orange County confirmed
- 5-alarm fire destroys San Francisco building 37 min ago
- Colorado triple homicide: Friend arrested
- abcnews: Family calls 911, held hostage by pet cat
- Elderly man fights off burglar with hammer 35 min ago
- Obama pushes health care on Funny or Die
- OTRC: Keith Richards releasing children's book