'Wreck-It Ralph' smashes box office with $49M
HOLLYWOOD, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Disney's "Wreck-It Ralph" had a strong opening weekend with $49.1 million.
"Wreck-It Ralph," a 3-D animated family film about a video game villain who tries to break free of his role, brought in the largest box office opening ever for Walt Disney Animation, though that figure doesn't include Disney's lucrative Pixar Animation.
Part of that had to do with superstorm Sandy, which kept thousands of East Coast children from going to school Friday.
Coming in second this weekend was Robert Zemeckis' "Flight," starring Denzel Washington, with $25 million.
In third was Ben Affleck's Iran hostage tale "Argo," which brought in $10.2 million.
The top 10 films of the weekend were:
1. "Wreck-It Ralph," $49.1 million.
2. "Flight," $25 million.
3. "Argo," $10.2 million.
4. "The Man With the Iron Fists," $10.2 million.
5. "Taken 2," $6 million.
6. "Cloud Atlas," $5.3 million.
7. "Hotel Transylvania," $4.5 million.
8. "Paranormal Activity 4," $4.3 million.
9. "Here Comes the Boom," $3.6 million.
10. "Silent Hill: Revelation," $3.3 million.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
movie news, entertainment
- Car rally held in honor of actor Paul Walker 5 min ago
- Body of woman found on 5 Freeway in Santa Ana 42 min ago
- Nelson Mandela remembered at South LA church
- Storm moves out of SoCal; cold air remains
- Small plane lands on 241 toll road in OC
- Pasadena apartment fire caused by heater
- 2 sought in Lancaster home invasion robberies
- VC suspicious death investigation underway
- abcnews: Couple accused of Craigslist murder
- Man wakes up locked inside dark empty plane
- Cold weather brings flight cancellations
- Ukraine capital facing anti-govt protest
- 'Frozen' tops box office in its 2nd week
- OTRC: Susan Boyle's Asperger's Syndrome diagnosis