'Modern Family' actress' mom accused of abuse
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- The mother of "Modern Family" star Ariel Winter has lost temporary custody of the actress amid abuse claims.
According to court filings, the 14-year-old's mother, Chrisoula Workman, is accused of ongoing physical abuse, described as slapping and hitting as well as name-calling and personal insults.
Workman says it's all untrue. She has been ordered to have no contact with her daughter until a court hearing on Nov. 20.
Winter's older sister, 34-year-old Shanelle, has been appointed temporary guardian.
Winter, who started acting in films and TV shows at age 7, currently plays Alex Dunphy on the hit ABC comedy.
Attorneys handling the guardianship had sought to transfer control of the young star's earnings from an account her mother can access to a blocked account. A judge did not grant that request, but it may be renewed at a later date.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
celebrity, court case, entertainment
- Stage collapses at OC high school; 25 injured 13 min ago
- Teen survives 5 Fwy crash, killed by traffic
- LAPD officer recovering after fatal BH crash
- Malaysia missing jet may have turned back
- 2 persons of interest sought in LB attack
- Bees attack 71-year-old woman in Palm Desert
- IE WWII Medal of Honor recipient laid to rest
- L.A. man wanted in attempted Banksy theft
- abcnews: Ex-FBI agent in captivity for 7 years
- Obama to preserve California federal lands
- Bond set for mom who drove kids into ocean
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea
- Sheila MacRae of 'The Honeymooners' dies
- OTRC: Khloe Kardashian topless in first Vine video
- Latest weather with Bri Winkler
3 min ago