'Modern Family' actress' mom accused of abuse
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- The mother of "Modern Family" star Ariel Winter has lost temporary custody of the actress amid abuse claims.
According to court filings, the 14-year-old's mother, Chrisoula Workman, is accused of ongoing physical abuse, described as slapping and hitting as well as name-calling and personal insults.
Workman says it's all untrue. She has been ordered to have no contact with her daughter until a court hearing on Nov. 20.
Winter's older sister, 34-year-old Shanelle, has been appointed temporary guardian.
Winter, who started acting in films and TV shows at age 7, currently plays Alex Dunphy on the hit ABC comedy.
Attorneys handling the guardianship had sought to transfer control of the young star's earnings from an account her mother can access to a blocked account. A judge did not grant that request, but it may be renewed at a later date.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
celebrity, court case, entertainment
- Greuel, Garcetti rally for undecided voters
- Body found in canyon ID'd as Maribel Ramos
- Castaic-area brush fire nears containment
- CA task force aims to control gun ownership
- Couple arrested in LA pot grow operation
- OC church burglary suspect in custody
- Police impersonator halts bus in Redlands
- Frazier Park fire: Crews gain upper hand
- Ricin letter case: FBI searches WA apartment
- Virginia parade crash injures up to 60 people
- SKorea: NKorea fires 3 short-range missiles
- Connecticut commuter train crash: 70 injured
- abcnews: Flesh-eating bacteria survivor's bionic hands
- OTRC: Jennifer Lopez debuts 'Live It Up' video