2012 American Music Awards: Justin Bieber wins artist of the year
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Pop sensation Justin Bieber won big at the 40th American Music Awards on Sunday night, including the show's biggest prize, artist of the year. His mother joined him onstage as he collected the trophy, beating out Rihanna, Maroon 5, Katy Perry and Drake.
"I wanted to thank you for always believing in me," Bieber said, looking to his mom.
The 18-year-old also won awards for favorite pop/rock male artist and favorite pop/rock album for "Believe."
Usher also took home a trophy for favorite soul/R&B male. He also happens to be Bieber's mentor.
"The longer you do it, the more of an example you can set," Usher said. "Being able to be that to him, being a mentor and just being an artist who continues to evolve and find my way, find my voice and find my audience, that is the example I think that he's following."
Bieber himself has become a mentor to this year's best new artist, Carly Rae Jepsen.
Nicki Minaj picked up two trophies for favorite rap/hip-hop artist and album.
In the world of country, Lady Antebellum won favorite group, Luke Bryan won favorite country male artist and Carrie Underwood for favorite album.
Korean pop star Psy of "Gangnam Style" fame and his special guest MC Hammer brought the house down when they closed the show. They danced to a "Gangnam Style" and "2 Legit 2 Quit" mash-up in Hammer pants.
Hammer reflected that Psy's "Gangnam Style" joins James Brown, Michael Jackson and his own "Hammer Time" as timeless dance moments.
"To be with somebody who has shifted the planet and had fun and (be a) very humble and respectable guy, I loved doing it and we had a great time together," Hammer said.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
celebrity, music news, award shows, entertainment
- Malaysia Airlines missing jet: Oil slicks found
- LAPD officer killed in Beverly Hills crash
- 3.2-magnitude earthquake hits Marina del Rey
- Salon owner charged in murder-for-hire plot
- Westminster deadly car crash: Driver sought 57 min ago
- Lancaster fight leads to double stabbing
- San Juan Capistrano murders: Son arrested
- Calif. bill would ban orcas in SeaWorld shows
- Gun hidden in sock kills woman at thrift store
- Florida mom charged with attempted murder
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea
- abcnews: Woman has 'out of body' experience at will
- Oprah gives away Essence cover dress to fan
- Photos: Aaron Paul, wife at 'Need For Speed' premiere