2012 American Music Awards: Justin Bieber wins artist of the year
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Pop sensation Justin Bieber won big at the 40th American Music Awards on Sunday night, including the show's biggest prize, artist of the year. His mother joined him onstage as he collected the trophy, beating out Rihanna, Maroon 5, Katy Perry and Drake.
"I wanted to thank you for always believing in me," Bieber said, looking to his mom.
The 18-year-old also won awards for favorite pop/rock male artist and favorite pop/rock album for "Believe."
Usher also took home a trophy for favorite soul/R&B male. He also happens to be Bieber's mentor.
"The longer you do it, the more of an example you can set," Usher said. "Being able to be that to him, being a mentor and just being an artist who continues to evolve and find my way, find my voice and find my audience, that is the example I think that he's following."
Bieber himself has become a mentor to this year's best new artist, Carly Rae Jepsen.
Nicki Minaj picked up two trophies for favorite rap/hip-hop artist and album.
In the world of country, Lady Antebellum won favorite group, Luke Bryan won favorite country male artist and Carrie Underwood for favorite album.
Korean pop star Psy of "Gangnam Style" fame and his special guest MC Hammer brought the house down when they closed the show. They danced to a "Gangnam Style" and "2 Legit 2 Quit" mash-up in Hammer pants.
Hammer reflected that Psy's "Gangnam Style" joins James Brown, Michael Jackson and his own "Hammer Time" as timeless dance moments.
"To be with somebody who has shifted the planet and had fun and (be a) very humble and respectable guy, I loved doing it and we had a great time together," Hammer said.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
celebrity, music news, award shows, entertainment
- Suspect arrested in South LA teen kidnapping 15 min ago
- 7.2-magnitude earthquake strikes Mexico
- E-cigarette ban in public to go into effect
- Prop 8 lawyer's views on gay marriage changing
- Whittier standoff with hostage ends peacefully
- 4 sought in Highland home-invasion robbery
- Tenants receive relocation money from landlord
- S.Korean ferry: Vice principal commits suicide 41 min ago
- Mount Everest avalanche kills at least 12
- abcnews: Workers caught filing false injury claims 44 min ago
- Pro-Russian insurgents ignore diplomatic deal 51 min ago
- Astronomers spot most Earth-like planet yet
- Bryan Singer's accuser talks alleged abuse
- OTRC: 'Scandal' recap - 5 highlights (Spoilers)
- Covered California enrolls nearly 1.4M people
3 min ago
- Latest weather with Garth Kemp
26 min ago