Kim Kardashian sparks protest in Bahrain
MANAMA, Bahrain (KABC) -- Kim Kardashian's visit to Bahrain sparked protests from hardline Islamic demonstrators, denouncing her presence in the Gulf kingdom.
Riot police fired tear gas to disperse the crowd of about 50. This took place just before Kardashian opened the Bahrain branch of her Millions of Milkshakes shop.
Earlier, the reality TV star posted glowing remarks about Bahrain on her Twitter account, calling it "the prettiest place on Earth." Her remarks were re-Tweeted by Bahrain's foreign minister. Kardashian even posted a photo of herself making peace signs in front of camels with the message, "Such a fun day in Bahrain!!!"
Kardashian was in Kuwait earlier this week to open another branch of the shop.
Fans reportedly paid up to $1,200 to attend Kardashian's mall appearance in Bahrain.
Meantime, the reality star has wrapped up her three-day Mid-East tour and flew out to Germany on Sunday.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
celebrity, protest, entertainment
- Fast food workers protest, want $15 an hour
- US teacher killed in Benghazi: officials
- The Game raises money for family of slain boy
- Motorcycle officer struck by hit-run driver
- 2 deputies OK after crash on West 105 Freeway 2 min ago
- LAPD seeing fewer qualified applicants
- LA council OKs restrictions on e-cig sellers
- UCLA police seek sexual battery suspect
- Cold snap moving across Southern California 48 min ago
- Bratton picked as NYPD commissioner again 25 min ago
- Stolen truck with radioactive load found
- abcnews: Teen saved after swallowing magnets
- Paul Walker autopsy results released
- OTRC: Beyonce posts bikini pics, goes on vegan diet
- Oxnard nursery relieved plants didn't freeze
59 min ago
- Fugetsu-Do makes fresh, delicious mochi
37 min ago
- Latest weather with Bri Winkler
20 min ago
- Ceremony honors LA's unclaimed dead
31 min ago