Michael Jackson costumes auction brings in $5.3M
BEVERLY HILLS, Calif. (KABC) -- An auction of some of Michael Jackson's costumes brought in $5.3 million on Sunday.
Lady Gaga tweeted that she bought 55 pieces from Julien's Auctions in Beverly Hills. She plans to keep them "archived and expertly cared for in the spirit and love of Michael Jackson, his bravery and fans worldwide."
The collection of Jackson's clothes came from his longtime costume designers, Dennis Tompkins and Michael Bush.
"Dennis Tompkins died a year ago to the day, and so Michael Bush is worried about a lot of these items. He's given some of the items back to the estate, and he's decided to let these items go so they can go into museums, collectors and investors," said Darren Julien with Julien's Auctions.
Julien said the jacket Jackson wore during his "Bad" tour fetched $240,000, and two of his crystal-encrusted gloves sold for more than $100,000 each.
The outfits haven't been seen since the King of Pop wore them on stage or in music videos. Some proceeds from the auction benefited Guide Dogs of America and Nathan Adelson Hospice of Las Vegas.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
michael jackson, celebrity, entertainment
- 4 kids abducted by parents in Boyle Heights
- Woman's remains, clothes found at Orange County wilderness park
- Malaysia missing jet: Focus turns to pilots
- Comedian David Brenner dies at age 78
- Burbank stabbing leaves 2 in serious condition 58 min ago
- Earthquake w/ mag-3.9 rattles Castaic area
- Young woman's body found in Santa Paula park 22 min ago
- Brush fire erupts in Thermal, near Indio 14 min ago
- Gorman brush fire: Crews gaining upper hand
- abcnews: NJ mom who hired hit man speaks out
- Ukraine: Russian forces move outside Crimea
- Sailor in iconic WWII kissing photo dies
- Honda Odysseys recalled amid fuel leak fears
- OTRC: Jamie Lynn Spears, 22, gets married - report