Michael Jackson costumes auction brings in $5.3M
BEVERLY HILLS, Calif. (KABC) -- An auction of some of Michael Jackson's costumes brought in $5.3 million on Sunday.
Lady Gaga tweeted that she bought 55 pieces from Julien's Auctions in Beverly Hills. She plans to keep them "archived and expertly cared for in the spirit and love of Michael Jackson, his bravery and fans worldwide."
The collection of Jackson's clothes came from his longtime costume designers, Dennis Tompkins and Michael Bush.
"Dennis Tompkins died a year ago to the day, and so Michael Bush is worried about a lot of these items. He's given some of the items back to the estate, and he's decided to let these items go so they can go into museums, collectors and investors," said Darren Julien with Julien's Auctions.
Julien said the jacket Jackson wore during his "Bad" tour fetched $240,000, and two of his crystal-encrusted gloves sold for more than $100,000 each.
The outfits haven't been seen since the King of Pop wore them on stage or in music videos. Some proceeds from the auction benefited Guide Dogs of America and Nathan Adelson Hospice of Las Vegas.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
michael jackson, celebrity, entertainment
- Mandela death: So. Africa prepares for burial 41 min ago
- Help Garth stuff busses full of toys in Ontario 17 min ago
- Unemployment falls to 7 pct, 203K jobs added
- Girl killed while walking in IE crosswalk
- Los Angeles Co. social workers go on strike
- IE domestic-violence murder suspect at large
- New cold front to bring chance of rain, snow 18 min ago
- 4 local brothers are all members of LAPD
- UCSB meningitis: Student's legs amputated
- US teacher shot dead in Libya's Benghazi
- abcnews: Brutal elevator attack shocks Chinese city 3 min ago
- 2015 Ford Mustang still has plenty of muscle
- Man arrested in Paul Walker wreckage theft
- OTRC: Keri Russell, husband Shane Deary separate
- Latest weather with Garth Kemp
24 min ago