Michael Jackson costumes auction brings in $5.3M
BEVERLY HILLS, Calif. (KABC) -- An auction of some of Michael Jackson's costumes brought in $5.3 million on Sunday.
Lady Gaga tweeted that she bought 55 pieces from Julien's Auctions in Beverly Hills. She plans to keep them "archived and expertly cared for in the spirit and love of Michael Jackson, his bravery and fans worldwide."
The collection of Jackson's clothes came from his longtime costume designers, Dennis Tompkins and Michael Bush.
"Dennis Tompkins died a year ago to the day, and so Michael Bush is worried about a lot of these items. He's given some of the items back to the estate, and he's decided to let these items go so they can go into museums, collectors and investors," said Darren Julien with Julien's Auctions.
Julien said the jacket Jackson wore during his "Bad" tour fetched $240,000, and two of his crystal-encrusted gloves sold for more than $100,000 each.
The outfits haven't been seen since the King of Pop wore them on stage or in music videos. Some proceeds from the auction benefited Guide Dogs of America and Nathan Adelson Hospice of Las Vegas.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
michael jackson, celebrity, entertainment
- Fallbrook tour bus crash: Victim identified
- Torrance donut shop robbery: Suspect sought
- Tour bus overturns on 15 Freeway in Corona
- Help Garth stuff buses full of toys in Anaheim 1 min ago
- Kelly Thomas trial: Cause of death revisited
- Baca says special hiring program dismantled
- Moorpark High closed after threatening note
- abcnews: Service dog helps girl in surgery
- Harry Reid in the hospital for observation
- Kate Middleton phone messages read in court
- London theater partial collapse; 75+ hurt
- Kobe Bryant injured again, will miss 6 weeks
- Farrah Fawcett portrait belongs to O'Neal
- OTRC: Kristen Johnston diagnosed w/ Lupus Myelitis