Oscars 2013: Documentary contenders include 'Bully'
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- "Ai Weiwei: Never Sorry" and "Bully" are among 15 documentary films selected for a short list of potential Oscar nominees, the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences announced Tuesday.
There were 126 documentary films eligible for Oscar consideration.
The climate-change study "Chasing Ice" and the documentary about Ethel Kennedy titled "Ethel" also made the list.
Other contenders this year include: "Detropia," "5 Broken Cameras," "The Gatekeepers," "The House I Live In," "How to Survive a Plague," "The Imposter," "The Invisible War," "Mea Maxima Culpa: Silence in the House of God," "Searching for Sugar Man," "This Is Not a Film" and "The Waiting Room."
The list will be narrowed to five nominees. Oscar nominations will be announced live on Jan. 10 at 5:30 a.m. PT.
The 2013 Oscar ceremony will air live on ABC7 on Sunday, Feb. 24.
academy awards, entertainment
- Spaccia convicted in Bell corruption trial
- Blustering winds, low temps hitting Southland 17 min ago
- 18 indicted in LA Sheriff's Dept abuse probe
- Houseguest arrested after 80-year-old's death
- OCTA votes against 405 Freeway toll lanes
- Man who allegedly pranked coaches arrested
- Glendale man gets 5 yrs in 'sextortion' case
- Ex-SD Mayor Filner sentenced for harassment
- abcnews: Gun makers thriving year after Newtown
- Storm snarls travel; power outages persist
- New cockroach found in NYC can withstand cold
- 6 finalists announced for 2013 Heisman trophy
- 'Saving Mr. Banks' tells 'Poppins' back story
- OTRC: Meredith Baxter weds partner Nancy Locke
- Latest weather with Garth Kemp
15 min ago