Eddie Murphy tops Forbes' most overpaid actor list
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Eddie Murphy is due for a comeback. He topped Forbes' list of Hollywood's most overpaid movie stars.
The publication used data on actors' earnings and box office grosses in their last three movies to compile the list.
Forbes says for every $1 Murphy was paid, an average of $2.30 was earned back by the studios. His last three non-animated films include "A Thousand Words," "Tower Heist" and "Imagine That."
Next on the list is Katherine Heigl with an average return of $3.40 for each $1 paid. The actress made a successful jump from TV's "Grey's Anatomy" to movies with hits including "Knocked Up" and "27 Dresses." However, her most recent film, "One for the Money," earned a disappointing $37 million.
Third and fourth on the list were Reese Witherspoon and Sandra Bullock, respectively. Witherspoon's average return was $3.90 for every $1 paid, and Bullock's average return was $5 for every $1 paid. Jack Black rounds out the top five, with an average return of $5.20 for every $1 paid.
1. Eddie Murphy -- $2.30 for every $1
2. Katherine Heigl -- $3.40 for every $1
3. Reese Witherspoon -- $3.90 for every $1
4. Sandra Bullock -- $5 for every $1
5. Jack Black -- $5.20 for every $1
6. Nicolas Cage -- $6 for every $1
7, 8. Adam Sandler and Denzel Washington -- both $6.30 for every $1
9. Ben Stiller -- $6.50 for every $1
10. Sarah Jessica Parker -- $7 for every $1
celebrity, movie news, entertainment
- Flasher strikes UC Riverside, community college
- Man killed in South Los Angeles hit-and-run
- Trailer spills rocks on westbound 10 Freeway
- Claremont sexual predator charged with felonies 36 min ago
- Suspicious bag found on the tarmac at LAX 5 min ago
- Two men arrested in Simi Valley car thefts
- Anaheim fire: House had pack rat conditions
- Man found dead outside fumigated OC house
- Victory for mom who sued TSA over breast milk
- Murder suspect worried tattoo might hurt case
- abcnews: Navy officer reunited with wife, daughters
- Object found in Australia likely not from jet
- 4 Hollywood execs deny sexual abuse claims
- OTRC: Laura Prepon reacts to Tom Cruise rumors