Rihanna donates $1.75M to Barbados hospital
BRIDGETOWN, Barbados (KABC) -- Pop star Rihanna delivered an early Christmas present to her Caribbean homeland of Barbados.
She donated $1.75 million to Queen Elizabeth Hospital during a ceremony Saturday. The money will be used to buy three pieces of medical equipment.
The hospital's radiotherapy unit has been renamed the Clara Braithwaite Center for Oncology and Nuclear Medicine in honor of Rihanna's grandmother, who died in June.
Rihanna says this is her way of giving back to Barbados.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
celebrity, charity, entertainment
- Bryan Singer's accuser talks alleged abuse
- Whittier police standoff forces evacuations
- Investigators reenact fatal NorCal bus crash
- Prop 8 lawyer's views on gay marriage changing
- Sriracha owner considers moving plant to TX?
- 1 dead, 9 injured in Fontana accident on 10W
- Tenants receive relocation money from landlord
- Mount Everest avalanche: 6 killed, 9 missing
- S. Korea ferry: Evacuation order delayed
- abcnews: Victim's mom halts killer's execution
- Chelsea Clinton pregnant with 1st child
- Kittens accidentally shipped from LA to SD
- Key dates announced for 87th Oscars in 2015
- OTRC: 'Scandal' recap - 5 highlights (Spoilers)