Jack Klugman of 'Odd Couple' dies at age 90
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Jack Klugman, best known as the sloppy roommate in the TV series "The Odd Couple," has died at the age of 90, his attorney confirmed to ABC7.
Klugman, whose Hollywood career spanned more than 60 years, died at his home in Northridge on Monday afternoon. The veteran actor was a pioneer in the world of television. He acted in many of the first shows ever to grace the small screen in the 1950s. But it was two roles later in his career that would define it: Oscar Madison on "The Odd Couple" and Dr. Quincy on "Quincy, M.E."
In the 1970s sitcom "The Odd Couple," he was half of one of America's most enduring and endearing on-screen couples. The show ran on network TV for five years until 1975. When "The Odd Couple" was canceled, a year later, Klugman turned to drama. For seven seasons, he starred as an intrepid medical examiner in "Quincy, M.E."
He portrayed Juror 5 in the 1957 film "12 Angry Men." Of the 12 actor who portrayed the jurors, he was the last survivor.
After his run in "Quincy," Klugman continued acting on television. But in 1989, he lost a vocal cord to throat cancer, severely affecting his voice. He trained himself to speak again and returned to acting in a 1993 Broadway revival of "Three Men on a Horse."
Klugman was born in Philadelphia in 1922 and served in the Army during World War II. Over the course of his career, he acted with the likes of Henry Fonda and Humphrey Bogart.
Along with his wife, Klugman is survived by two sons, David Klugman and Adam Klugman, and two grandchildren. A memorial service has not yet been scheduled.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
famous death, entertainment, rob hayes
- Pope Francis named Time's Person of the Year
- Nelson Mandela mourners pay last respects 21 min ago
- Man arrested in 'revenge porn' website case
- Auto thefts up in CA after realignment -study
- FBI arrest several alleged MS-13 gang members
- UC Riverside employee diagnosed w/ meningitis
- LA supervisors criticize Baca amid jail probe
- $50K reward announced in murder of 7-year-old
- Bell moving forward after Spaccia conviction
- abcnews: Woman claws way out of locked bathroom
- Bipartisan negotiators reach modest budget deal
- Eastern snowstorm brings closures, delays
- US Navy sailor surprises family on ABC comedy
- OTRC: Demi Lovato's cocaine, alcohol confessions