Huell Howser, 'California's Gold' host, dies at 67
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Longtime Southern California television host Huell Howser introduced us to many of the unique parts of our state. The "California's Gold" host died of natural causes at the age of 67.
The Tennessee native moved to Los Angeles in 1981 and reported for KCBS-TV. After briefly serving as a weekend host for "Entertainment Tonight" in the 1980s, he joined KCET as the host of "California's Gold." Howser reveled in teaching his television audiences about new people and new places.
Howser gave us hundreds of golden moments as he traveled around the state, introducing us to the small towns, landmarks, and "off the beaten track" locations that may not have been well known to the general public.
He retired just last November from his role at KCET. The broadcaster donated all episodes of his series to Chapman University, as well as all his research material and memorabilia, saying, "I'm proud to have a permanent home for my life's work. I hope it will be used by students and the public to learn about, and understand, California even better."
The president of public television station KCET said in a statement, "We are deeply saddened to hear of Huell's passing. This is a tremendous personal and professional loss to his friends and colleagues, as well as his legions of fans"
A spokesman said there would be no public or private services.
celebrity, famous death, television, entertainment, george pennacchio
- Echo Park apartment fire kills 2, injures 2
- Sriracha distribution on hold for 30 days
- Mandela interpreter cites hallucinations
- Las Vegas casino shooting video released
- Disabled councilman knocked out in Devore crash
- Wife, sister shot in purported mercy killings
- Human remains found in forest above Altadena
- 'Button-down Bandit' arrested after pursuit
- abcnews: Arrowhead Stadium victim's family talks
- NASA: Cooling pump on space station shuts down
- Wal-Mart ban stemmed from alleged threat
- Australia rejects law allowing gay marriage
- Bale talks 'Hustle,' 'Out of the Furnace' 54 min ago
- OTRC: Idina Menzel and Taye Diggs separate 1 min ago