Beyonce, Clarkson to perform at Obama inauguration
WASHINGTON -- Beyonce and Kelly Clarkson are among the big names slated to perform at President Barack Obama's inauguration ceremony.
According to event planners, the president picked Beyonce to sing the national anthem and Clarkson to perform "My Country 'Tis of Thee." Also, James Taylor will sing "America the Beautiful."
Beyonce and Taylor have been devoted supporters of Mr. Obama. Beyonce sang Etta James' "At Last" for the president and first lady's dance at the inaugural balls four years ago and hosted a $4 million fundraiser for his re-election. Taylor sang at the White House in the president's first term and also at the Democratic National Convention last summer.
Clarkson, however, has once said that she was a fan of Republican presidential candidate Ron Paul for the 2012 race, although she said she voted for Mr. Obama in 2008. She said on Twitter Wednesday that she is "excited & honored" to be performing at the inaugural.
Richard Blanco is the 2013 inaugural poet. He joins a select group that includes Maya Angelou and the late Robert Frost. Event officials say Blanco, 44, will be the youngest-ever inaugural poet and the first Hispanic or gay individual to recite a poem at the ceremonial swearing-in.
The president's swearing-in ceremony is scheduled for Monday, Jan. 21, which is Martin Luther King Jr. Day.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
president barack obama, celebrity, music news, entertainment
- Search for Oklahoma survivors almost complete
- Greuel, Garcetti face off on Election Day 1 min ago
- Prosecutors shed light on Maribel Ramos murder
- Vinny Del Negro out as LA Clippers coach
- LA search-and-rescue on standby for Oklahoma
- LAPD officer accused of lewd acts on 2 girls 22 min ago
- Jogger sexually assaulted in Santa Paula
- Immigration bill approved by Senate committee 42 min ago
- Jodi Arias jury sentencing deliberations begin
- abcnews: Boston bombing probe heads to Russia
- Bin Laden photos: Court sides with US govt
- 2013 Legacy, Outback recalled for steering issue
- New ACL surgery technique reduces failure rate
- Photos: 'Dancing With The Stars' week 10