Beyonce, Clarkson to perform at Obama inauguration
WASHINGTON -- Beyonce and Kelly Clarkson are among the big names slated to perform at President Barack Obama's inauguration ceremony.
According to event planners, the president picked Beyonce to sing the national anthem and Clarkson to perform "My Country 'Tis of Thee." Also, James Taylor will sing "America the Beautiful."
Beyonce and Taylor have been devoted supporters of Mr. Obama. Beyonce sang Etta James' "At Last" for the president and first lady's dance at the inaugural balls four years ago and hosted a $4 million fundraiser for his re-election. Taylor sang at the White House in the president's first term and also at the Democratic National Convention last summer.
Clarkson, however, has once said that she was a fan of Republican presidential candidate Ron Paul for the 2012 race, although she said she voted for Mr. Obama in 2008. She said on Twitter Wednesday that she is "excited & honored" to be performing at the inaugural.
Richard Blanco is the 2013 inaugural poet. He joins a select group that includes Maya Angelou and the late Robert Frost. Event officials say Blanco, 44, will be the youngest-ever inaugural poet and the first Hispanic or gay individual to recite a poem at the ceremonial swearing-in.
The president's swearing-in ceremony is scheduled for Monday, Jan. 21, which is Martin Luther King Jr. Day.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
president barack obama, celebrity, music news, entertainment
- 4 stabbed at Fullerton bar; suspects sought
- IE pastor accused of paying boys for sex acts
- Malaysia asks countries for data to find jet
- 4 kids abducted by parents in Boyle Heights
- Santa Ana crash leaves man critically injured 26 min ago
- Norwalk homicide investigation underway 45 min ago
- DUI driver hits sign, car and pedestrian
- Burbank man arrested in stabbing attack
- Thermal brush fire contained at 350 acres
- abcnews: US travel advice from other countries
- High turnout seen at secession vote in Crimea
- 16 killed in stampedes for jobs in Nigeria
- Fetching 'Peabody & Sherman' top box office 10 min ago
- Photos: Billboard's 25 highest-paid musicians