'Zero Dark Thirty' captures No. 1 at box office
HOLLYWOOD, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- "Zero Dark Thirty" captured the top spot at the weekend box office. It was an easy win for the Osama bin Laden raid drama.
The film nabbed first place with $24 million in its first weekend in wide release. It earned five Oscar nominations last week, including nods for best picture, best original screenplay and best actress for Jessica Chastain as a dogged CIA operative.
The horror parody "A Haunted House" starring Marlon Wayans debuted in second place with a solid $18.8 million. "Gangster Squad," starring Josh Brolin, Ryan Gosling and Sean Penn, opened below expectations in third place with $16.7 million.
"Django Unchained" came in at No. 4 with $11 million and "Les Miserables" rounded out the top five with $10.1 million.
The top 10 films of the weekend were:1. "Zero Dark Thirty," $24 million
2. "A Haunted House," $18.8 million
3. "Gangster Squad," $16.7 million
4. "Django Unchained," $11 million
5. "Les Miserables," $10.1 million
6. "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey," $9 million
7. "Lincoln," $6.3 million
8. "Parental Guidance," $6.1 million
9. "Texas Chainsaw 3-D," $5.1 million
10. "Silver Linings Playbook," $5 million
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
movie news, entertainment
- Fallbrook bus crash: 1 dead, several injured 24 min ago
- Tour bus overturns on 15 Freeway in Corona 5 min ago
- London theater partial collapse; 75+ hurt
- Rain, winds moving across Southern California 46 min ago
- Moorpark High closed after threatening note
- School hacking: Tutor wanted for questioning
- Rodman in NKorea to prep for basketball game
- Kate Middleton phone messages read in court
- abcnews: Missing medical resident's car found
- Report finds bacteria on 97 percent of chicken 12 min ago
- Kobe Bryant injured again, will miss 6 weeks
- Katie Couric's talk show to end this summer
- Farrah Fawcett portrait belongs to O'Neal
- OTRC: Kristen Johnston diagnosed w/ Lupus Myelitis
- Local mountains get fresh blanket of snow
37 min ago
- Jeremy Renner discusses future roles
27 min ago