'Zero Dark Thirty' captures No. 1 at box office
HOLLYWOOD, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- "Zero Dark Thirty" captured the top spot at the weekend box office. It was an easy win for the Osama bin Laden raid drama.
The film nabbed first place with $24 million in its first weekend in wide release. It earned five Oscar nominations last week, including nods for best picture, best original screenplay and best actress for Jessica Chastain as a dogged CIA operative.
The horror parody "A Haunted House" starring Marlon Wayans debuted in second place with a solid $18.8 million. "Gangster Squad," starring Josh Brolin, Ryan Gosling and Sean Penn, opened below expectations in third place with $16.7 million.
"Django Unchained" came in at No. 4 with $11 million and "Les Miserables" rounded out the top five with $10.1 million.
The top 10 films of the weekend were:1. "Zero Dark Thirty," $24 million
2. "A Haunted House," $18.8 million
3. "Gangster Squad," $16.7 million
4. "Django Unchained," $11 million
5. "Les Miserables," $10.1 million
6. "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey," $9 million
7. "Lincoln," $6.3 million
8. "Parental Guidance," $6.1 million
9. "Texas Chainsaw 3-D," $5.1 million
10. "Silver Linings Playbook," $5 million
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
movie news, entertainment
- Malaysian PM: Jet's disappearance deliberate
- Body found at Anaheim trash recycling center
- 4 kids abducted by parents in Boyle Heights
- Brush fire burns near Gorman by Quail Lake
- OC 'flasher' suspect captured in San Diego
- Pinkberry co-founder sentenced in 2011 beating
- Fatal 210 shooting likely sparked by road rage
- Man who hoarded snakes in OC home charged
- Pistorius photographed in bloodied prosthetics
- abcnews: Baby girl with 2 heads born in India
- Crimea vote won't be recognized by US - Kerry
- Baby gorilla born through rare C-section
- Sailor in iconic WWII kissing photo dies
- OTRC: 'Scandal' recap - 5 highlights (Spoilers)