Conrad Murray attorneys allegedly fight during visit
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Michael Jackson's personal physician is still doing time for his role in the pop star's death. Dr. Conrad Murray's attempt to appeal his conviction, however, took a strange turn this week after a meeting with his lawyers got physical.
Valerie Wass, Murray's appellate lawyer, is working to have the doctor's involuntary manslaughter conviction overturned. But when she met with Murray at Men's Central Jail on Tuesday, she said she ran into Murray's former trial attorney, J. Mike Flanagan and his son, Ryan Flanagan, who were with Murray in a meeting room.
Wass said Ryan Flanagan physically pushed her out of the room.
"He actually pushed me out of the room," Wass said. "That person turned around and got up and shoved me out of the room. I recognized that it was Mike's son."
According to Wass, Ryan Flanagan had no reason to be in the room with Murray.
"Instead of Mike asking Ryan to step out and allow us to talk, Ryan was going crazy and so we got into a shouting match," Wass said.
Michael Flanagan and his son were unavailable for comment.
The Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department said Wass filed a report a few hours after the alleged clash.
"I would say that there was a verbal altercation and there was allegedly a battery - unwanted touching in the form perhaps of a shove, but that's allegedly - so we'll get to the bottom of and find out exactly what did or did not occur what this somewhat minor dispute," sheriff's spokesman Steve Whitmore said.
The alleged altercation between Murray's legal teams remains under investigation. The city attorney's office said it has not determined whether it plans to file charges until it receives a full report from the sheriff's department. If charges are filed, they would likely be charges of misdemeanor battery.
Murray has been behind bars since his conviction in 2011 of involuntary manslaughter. He could be released as early October.
celebrity, legal, entertainment, robert holguin
- S. Korea ferry: Evacuation order delayed 9 min ago
- Monterey Park fire engine crash injures 15
- Bell corruption: Rizzo gets 12 years in prison
- Arsonist sought in San Pedro Elks Lodge fire
- Google Glass robbers target Venice resident
- Victim found on 605 Freeway dies of injuries
- 'Luger Bandit' bank robbery suspect caught
- Distracted-driving trial: OC jury deadlocks
- Solvang ordnance scare prompts evacuations
- Boston Marathon hoax: Suspect is bipolar
- abcnews: Missing girls case solved 40 years later
- Jay-Z's Made in America festival announced
- 'X-Men' director accused of sexual assault
- OTRC: AC/DC: Malcolm Young taking break