Jimmy Kimmel gets Hollywood Walk of Fame star right outside studio
HOLLYWOOD, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Jimmy Kimmel received the 2,489th star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame Friday. His star is just outside the "Jimmy Kimmel Live" studio.
"My parents brought me here to Hollywood to visit the Walk of Fame when I was 10 years old, and I never imagined they would leave me here to fend for myself," Kimmel said.
Kimmel has found a home in Hollywood. He has the star, the love of his family, the adoration of his fans and of his friends.
"This is a guy who has come out quietly to testify on behalf of good projects to revitalize Hollywood, who's fought for things like helping Hollywood High School get an arts program back, who has, in quiet and powerful ways, been a great Angelino when all of the cameras are off and when nobody is watching," said Los Angeles City Councilman Eric Garcetti.
The honor came just one day before the 10th anniversary of the premiere of his late-night talk show on ABC.
"Jimmy's show tapes right here, and it seems like there's a big turnout for his star ceremony, but it's really just the family members that work for him taking a smoke break," Carson Daley joked at the ceremony.
Daly once interned for Kimmel at a Palm Springs radio station, and he would later babysit Kimmel's daughter.
"I met him when I was 17, he was 12 years old. He's been like a little sister to me," Kimmel said.
And then there's Kimmel's tough aunt Chippy.
"He was a horror, he really was. When you saw him, you didn't know if you wanted to beat him to death or run like hell," she said.
In truth, the family is thrilled with Kimmel's success, and his parents really did bring him to Walk of Fame when he was just a little boy.
"We've got pictures, he was nine years old, right across the street, looking at Jimmy Durante's star. And I think we said something like, 'One day ... maybe one day you'll have your star.' And it came true," said Kimmel's father.
"Thank you, mom and dad, for always being there, whether you're invited or not," Kimmel joked.
television, abc, celebrity, entertainment, george pennacchio
- Search widens for missing Malaysian jet
- Montclair hit-run kills woman, injures teen 48 min ago
- Prosecutor: OC couple's murder not about money
- Suspect arrested in Hollywood severed head case
- Remains of Hollywood Park racehorse exhumed
- IE suspect found after escaping from police
- Amber Alert canceled; LB boy found safe
- Man found dead in ransacked Westmont home
- Sandy Hook gunman's father breaks silence
- abcnews: Convicted murderer of 7 awarded nearly $500K
- Colorado collects $2M in recreational pot taxes
- Parents distracted by devices, study says
- Justin Bieber gets mad in deposition video
- Photos: 'Bachelor' Juan Pablo kisses 5 contestants