SAG Awards: 'Argo' continues dominance with big win
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- As the awards season continues, the 19th annual Screen Actors Guild Awards on Sunday helped clear up the puzzling Oscars lineup.
"Argo" took the top film prize of Outstanding Performance by a Cast in a Motion Picture.
"Lincoln's" Daniel Day-Lewis and "Silver Linings Playbook's" Jennifer Lawrence also came out on top, nabbing the awards for Outstanding Performance by an Actor or Actress in a Leading Role.
The supporting awards went to Anne Hathaway of "Les Miserables" and Tommy Lee Jones of "Lincoln."
Honors from Sunday's event as well as next weekend's Directors Guild of America Awards and Saturday night's Producers Guild of America Awards typically help to establish clear favorites for the Oscars.
Oscar night on Feb. 24 looks uncertain this year after some top directing prospects, including Ben Affleck for "Argo" and Kathryn Bigelow for "Zero Dark Thirty," were not nominated. Both films were nominated for best picture, but a movie rarely wins the top Oscar if its director is not also in the running.
There's more to add to the confusion. Steven Spielberg's "Lincoln" looks like a likely Oscar favorite with 12 nominations. However, "Argo" and Affleck took best drama and director honors at the Golden Globes. "Argo" also earned the top honor at the PGA Awards.
On the television side, with "30 Rock" ending its run, its stars Tina Fey and Alec Baldwin won the SAG awards for best comedy performers. It was Baldwin's seventh-straight win, while Fey earned her fifth SAG prize.
"Modern Family" won for best overall cast in a TV comedy show. The TV drama acting awards went to Claire Danes of "Homeland" and Bryan Cranston of "Breaking Bad."
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
celebrity, television, movie news, award shows, entertainment, george pennacchio
- Compton teachers call in sick, want pay raise
- Bizarre East LA bank robbery trial begins 38 min ago
- Roommate arrested in Westmont homicide
- Missing jetliner made it to Malacca Strait 18 min ago
- Coach pleads no contest to molesting girls
- Missing hiker rescued in Santa Clarita canyon
- LAPD crash: Funeral services announced 40 min ago
- Portion of 405 South to close for 2 nights
- 5 measles cases in Orange County confirmed
- CVS allegedly lost track of 37K painkillers
- Colorado triple homicide: Friend arrested
- abcnews: Family calls 911, held hostage by pet cat
- Obama pushes health care on Funny or Die
- OTRC: Keith Richards releasing children's book
- Lose weight playing video games, study says
2 min ago