Taye Diggs chases down home burglar after SAG Awards
STUDIO CITY, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Actor Taye Diggs chased down a burglary suspect at his home in Studio City following the Screen Actors Guild Awards.
Authorities responded to the 3100 block of Oakdell Lane just after 11 p.m. Sunday. LAPD investigators say Diggs and his wife had just returned home after the SAG Awards when they found 20-year-old Hassan Juma rummaging through their garage. When Juma took off running, Diggs was hot on his heels.
"He did chase him, caught up to him, held him, detained him until our officers arrived on scene," said LAPD Lt. Gus Villanueva.
No one from the Diggs house spoke to Eyewitness News on Monday, but neighbor Alan Marsh says he was shocked to hear of the break-in, and even more shocked to hear that Diggs ran after the suspect.
"If he came into the house I'd probably defend myself, but I wouldn't run after him," said Marsh. "But he's to be commended. He's our hero!"
If the situation sounds familiar, it's because rapper LL Cool J had a similar experience last August when he chased down and caught a man who had broken into his Studio City home while his he and his family were asleep.
That man ended up in the hospital with a broken jaw, nose and ribs. Police say in Diggs' case, nobody was hurt, but they cringe when they hear of people chasing down suspects.
"We're not criticizing Mr. Diggs, we appreciate that he did take action, we are very happy that the suspect was taken into custody and nobody was injured in this incident," said Gus. "But normally we just tell people to be good witnesses."
Juma is being held on $50,000 bail. Police are also looking for the driver of a suspected getaway vehicle that was seen fleeing the area. Anyone with information is asked to call the LAPD at 1-877-LAPD-24-7.
celebrity, burglary, arrest, entertainment, rob hayes
- Nelson Mandela dies in South Africa at age 95
- IE domestic-violence murder suspect at large
- Girl killed while walking in IE crosswalk
- New cold front to bring chance of rain, snow
- Los Angeles Co. social workers go on strike
- 4 local brothers are all members of LAPD
- Montebello remains are not human - coroner
- UCSB meningitis: Student's legs amputated
- US teacher shot dead in Libya's Benghazi
- abcnews: Teen saved after swallowing magnets
- 2015 Ford Mustang still has plenty of muscle
- Over 2 million Internet accounts hacked
- Man arrested in Paul Walker wreckage theft
- OTRC: Keri Russell, husband Shane Deary separate