Beyonce admits she lip-synced at Inauguration
NEW ORLEANS (KABC) -- Beyonce admitted Thursday that she did lip-sync when she performed the national anthem on Inauguration Day.
The singer made the statement at a press conference in New Orleans days ahead of her half-time performance at the Super Bowl. She opened up the press conference with a live rendition of the national anthem.
She asked those at the conference to stand before she belted "The Star Spangled Banner," and after she said with a laugh: "Any questions?"
In explaining why she used a recorded track during her Inauguration Day performance, she called herself a "perfectionist," adding that she wanted her performance for President Barack Obama to be a memorable one.
"I practice until my feet bleed and I did not have time to rehearse with the orchestra," she said. "Due to no proper sound check, I did not feel comfortable taking a risk. It was about the president and the inauguration, and I wanted to make him and my country proud, so I decided to sing along with my pre-recorded track, which is very common in the music industry. And I'm very proud of my performance."
She hadn't spoken publicly since it was alleged that she lip-synched her rendition of "The Star-Spangled Banner" last week. Her performance came under scrutiny less than a day later when a representative from the U.S. Marine Band said she wasn't singing live and the band's accompanying performance was taped. Shortly after, the group backed off its initial statement and said no one could tell if she was singing live or not.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Reseda shooting: 1 dead, 1 injured, 1 arrested
- Tour bus crash in Corona: 91-yr-old man dies
- Target probe focuses on processing centers
- Woman gives $500 to friend who's a single mom
- Pope's message to end hunger hits home in IE
- Slain chase suspect's family files $20M claim
- Fallbrook tour bus crash: Victim identified
- Judge orders hospital to keep girl on support
- Helicopter gunships used in MX resort battle
- abcnews: One of Van Gogh's last paintings unveiled
- San Jose company recalls sausage products
- Jewelry shopping tips: How to avoid rip-offs
- Ned Vizzini, popular author, dies at age 32
- OTRC: Beyonce kisses Madonna's daughter (Photo)