James Franco named grand marshal of Daytona 500
DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. (KABC) -- Actor James Franco will serve as grand marshal for the 55th running of the Daytona 500 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series race.
The race is scheduled for Sunday, Feb. 24, at Daytona International Speedway.
Franco will give the famed starting command, "Drivers start your engines." He will also participate in pre-race ceremonies and ride in one of the grand marshal cars during the pace laps before the green flag of the 200-lap, 500-mile race.
The 34-year-old actor is the star of Disney's "Oz The Great and Powerful," which is slated for release March 8. The film also stars Mila Kunis, Rachel Weisz and Michelle Williams. Franco's other credits include "127 Hours," the "Spider-Man" trilogy, "Milk" and "Rise of the Planet of the Apes."
Franco joins a star-studded list of previous Daytona 500 grand marshals including John Travolta, Ben Affleck, Nicolas Cage, Kate Upton, Jane Lynch and Matthew McConaughey.
- Gusty winds elevate fire dangers in SoCal
- Compton teachers call in sick, want pay raise
- Malaysia not sure which way jet was headed
- Mountain lion roams Hollywood Hills - video
- LA Co. focuses on stormwater capture projects
- Business leaders concerned about LADWP
- Bizarre East LA bank robbery trial begins
- 39-year-old man found dead in Apple Valley
- 5-alarm fire destroys San Francisco building
- Colorado triple homicide: Friend arrested
- abcnews: Family calls 911, held hostage by pet cat
- Elderly man fights off burglar with hammer
- Obama pushes health care on Funny or Die
- OTRC: Keith Richards releasing children's book