James Franco named grand marshal of Daytona 500
DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. (KABC) -- Actor James Franco will serve as grand marshal for the 55th running of the Daytona 500 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series race.
The race is scheduled for Sunday, Feb. 24, at Daytona International Speedway.
Franco will give the famed starting command, "Drivers start your engines." He will also participate in pre-race ceremonies and ride in one of the grand marshal cars during the pace laps before the green flag of the 200-lap, 500-mile race.
The 34-year-old actor is the star of Disney's "Oz The Great and Powerful," which is slated for release March 8. The film also stars Mila Kunis, Rachel Weisz and Michelle Williams. Franco's other credits include "127 Hours," the "Spider-Man" trilogy, "Milk" and "Rise of the Planet of the Apes."
Franco joins a star-studded list of previous Daytona 500 grand marshals including John Travolta, Ben Affleck, Nicolas Cage, Kate Upton, Jane Lynch and Matthew McConaughey.
- Target probe focuses on processing centers
- Fallbrook tour bus crash: Victim identified
- Obama: 2014 can be breakthrough year for US
- Help Garth stuff buses full of toys in Anaheim
- Lancaster woman found dead; sons questioned 29 min ago
- Man found dead after house fire in Orange
- Harry Reid in the hospital for observation
- Judge strikes down Utah's same-sex marriage ban
- abcnews: Service dog sniffs out girl's disease
- London theater collapse: Aging venues safe?
- Harry Potter play in the works by J.K. Rowling
- Casey Kasem conservatorship deal reached
- 9-yr-old FL girl is youngest to bowl 300 game
- OTRC: Phil Robertson's fam talk 'Duck Dynasty' future