'Grey's Anatomy' stars Chandra Wilson, Sandra Oh run for good cause
PASADENA, Calif. (KABC) -- Stars from the ABC medical drama "Grey's Anatomy" hit the pavement in Pasadena Sunday, all to support a good cause.
Actresses Chandra Wilson and Sandra Oh ran the 5K race in the annual Kaiser Permanente Rock 'n' Roll Half Marathon.
Proceeds from the event benefit CureMito!, a nonprofit group that supports people with the cell disorder known as mitochondrial disease and raises funds for research.
Wilson's daughter Sarina was diagnosed with a type of mitochondrial dysfunction, according to the CureMito! website, which also states Wilson is an ambassador for the group.
The actress said she hopes to bring mitochondrial disease into the mainstream.
"We had a great showing last year. We're looking to double our showing this year to raise awareness and funds, of course, to help continue to do research and treatment for mitochondrial disease," Wilson told Eyewitness News.
Oh also came out to support Wilson's daughter, who she says she's known since Sarina was just 10 years old.
Sections of Arroyo and Colorado boulevards, Lake and Wilson avenues and the 134 Freeway on- and off-ramps at Orange Grove Avenue are among the streets blocked during the race, which starts and ends at the Rose Bowl. The street closures were set to be in effect until noon.
For a list of street closures, visit http://runrocknroll.competitor.com/pasadena.
pasadena, celebrity, health, charity, entertainment
- Nelson Mandela's legacy honored around world 20 min ago
- New cold front to bring chance of rain, snow
- Unemployment falls to 7 pct, 203K jobs added
- Help Garth stuff buses full of toys in Ontario
- 'Valley Bandit' wanted for 8 bank robberies 32 min ago
- Suspect injured in El Monte police shooting
- Joseph Gatto's stolen jewelry pieces sought
- Missing Pasadena City College hiker found
- Girl killed while walking in IE crosswalk
- abcnews: Brutal elevator attack shocks Chinese city
- World Cup: US to play Ghana, Portugal, Germany 55 min ago
- McDonald's accidentally gives cash to couple
- Banksy's 'Flower Girl' auctioned off at $209K 13 min ago
- OTRC: Kelly Clarkson talks baby names (Video)