Oscars 2013: Excitement builds in Hollywood as show nears
HOLLYWOOD, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- With Hollywood's biggest night less than 50 hours away, excitement is building as the countdown to the Oscars winds down.
"This is going to be a very special show, I promise you," said Hawk Koch, president of the Motion Picture Academy. "There are going to be a lot of standing ovations and a lot of surprises."
Eyewitness News learned Friday that Jack Nicholson and Dustin Hoffman have been added to the presenter's list. Meantime, media from around the world have arrived in Hollywood to cover all the glitz and glamour.
The red carpet theme this year will showcase costume designers, so expect to see something new visually. Show officials say everything is on schedule, but as with any large event, they're prepared for any unexpected surprises.
The posh green room is decked out and ready to go for presenters and honorees to relax in when off stage. Also, famed chef Wolfgang Puck has put together a mouth-watering menu for the Governors Ball after the show. The menu includes everything from sushi, lobster to mini burgers.
The show itself is expected to be jam-packed with performances and musical numbers. The producers of the show say they're hoping for Oscar success.
Show crews and producers alike aren't the only ones who have been hard at work; Oscar the statuette himself arrived home to Los Angeles Thursday night following a national tour that started Feb. 4 on "Good Morning America."
"We've been letting fans all over the country meet Oscar and take pictures with him and do speeches, and basically have the magic of the Oscars in their hands," said Angie Greenup, who travelled with the Oscars tour.
With Oscar Sunday just days away, play the My Picks game to choose who you think will win in each award category.
Have a smart phone or tablet? Download the free official Oscars app to get news and updates about the show. It's available for Apple, Android and Kindle devices.
The Oscars will air live on ABC7 on Feb. 24.
Oscar Sunday lineup:
- 1:30 p.m.: On The Red Carpet at The Oscars
- 4 p.m.: The Oscars Red Carpet Live
- 5:30 p.m.: The Oscars
- 8:30 p.m.: On The Red Carpet at The Oscars
- 10 p.m.: Jimmy Kimmel Live
- 11 p.m.: Eyewitness News
movie news, celebrity, award shows, academy awards, entertainment
- Blind man falls on tracks, survives train
- Temple City man denies creating Bitcoin
- IE cross memorial removed after complaints
- OC man arrested for pot brownie sales to kids
- Oxnard hit-and-run victim in critical condition
- CSULB researchers launch 'Kelp Watch 2014'
- Dodger lot beating: federal gun indictments
- Drunk gambler sues LV casino following loss
- Baby rescued on FL freeway home from hospital
- Obama: West won't let Kremlin carve up Ukraine
- abcnews: Charges filed in missing nursing student case
- Factors that may lead to Alzheimer's disease
- Justin Bieber's urine test video released
- OTRC: Angelina Jolie talks 'Maleficent,' daughter