Oscar ratings: More young adults tuned in
HOLLYWOOD, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Oscar host Seth MacFarlane took viewers in all directions: sometimes edgy, sometimes surprising and sometimes sentimental. When it came to those all-important ratings, the direction he took the show was north.
Overall, Oscar viewership is up from last year's 39.3 million people. The 85th ceremony had a million more viewers than last year.
But in the key young adult audience, the bulk of Seth MacFarlane's fans, early estimates suggest a 20 percent climb in those numbers - the highest 18-to-34 age audience in six years.
"This is probably the most widely seen group of best picture nominees we've had in some time, so I think, in general, that's always going to drive up interest because it means it's more likely for fans to have a rooting interest in some of the nominees," said Jon Weisman, Variety awards editor.
Critics had mixed reactions to MacFarlane, which is usually the case with whoever hosts the show, but those involved with the show and stars at the show gave him high marks.
"He's not like a Ricky Gervais who's kind of caustic. He's adorable," said producer Craig Zadan. "The thing is that we find him so sweet and even when he's being a little bad boy, he's adorable, so we think that he's accessible to a large audience."
Actor Joseph Gordon-Levitt said he thought MacFarlane was fantastic.
"He just set it up just right. You had his irreverent humor, and on the other hand, you had the really classy stuff. And it's not easy to pull both of those things off, but I think he really did."
"Argo" was named best picture, and it was announced via satellite from the White House by first lady Michelle Obama, with thanks to movie mogul Harvey Weinstein.
"He called her personally and convinced her to do it, so if it wasn't for Harvey, we would not have had the first lady," Zadan said.
Hollywood Boulevard is currently in the process of returning to normal. The dismantling and the cleanup will be done in time for the street to reopen by 6 a.m. Tuesday.
movie news, celebrity, award shows, academy awards, entertainment, george pennacchio
- 2 boys molested at different South Bay parks 35 min ago
- LA Times building threat: Man detained by LAPD
- Aide to councilman linked to armed robbery
- FBI seeks '76 murder suspect, possibly in SoCal
- Suspect arrested in South LA teen kidnap, rape
- Claremont sexual predator ID'd, arrested
- Oakland woman collapses at Coachella, dies
- 4.3-magnitude earthquake strikes Kern County 15 min ago
- Earthquake strikes off Papua New Guinea 18 min ago
- abcnews: Eclectic early summer festivals 25 min ago
- SKorean sunken ferry captain, 2 crew arrested
- Michaels data breach: 2.6M cards affected
- Katharine McPhee stars in romantic TV film
- OTRC: Miley Cyrus postpones whole tour