Van Cliburn, legendary pianist, dies at age 78
FORT WORTH, Texas (KABC) -- Legendary pianist Van Cliburn died Wednesday at the age of 78 at his home in Fort Worth, Tx., his longtime publicist Mary Lou Falcone confirmed.
"Van Cliburn was an international legend for over five decades, a great humanitarian and a brilliant musician whose light will continue to shine through his extraordinary legacy," Falcone said in a statement. "He will be missed by all who knew and admired him, and by countless people he never met."
Falcone had announced in late August that Cliburn had been diagnosed with advanced cancer and was being cared for at his home.
Cliburn skyrocketed to fame when he won the first International Tchaikovsky Competition in Moscow at age 23 in 1958, six months after the Soviets' launch of Sputnik embarrassed the U.S. and propelled the world into the space age. He triumphantly returned to a New York City ticker tape parade - the first ever for a classical musician - and a Time magazine cover proclaimed him "The Texan Who Conquered Russia."
The young man from the small east Texas town of Kilgore sold out concerts, caused riots when spotted in public and even prompted an Elvis Presley fan club to change its name to his. His recording of the Tchaikovsky Piano Concerto No. 1 with Russian conductor Kirill Kondrashin became the first classical album to reach platinum status.
The renowned pianist received multiple accolades, including the prestigious Kennedy Center Honors Medallion in 2001. He was presented with the Presidential Medal of Freedom by President George W. Bush in 2003, and then the next year, he was honored with the Order of Friendship of the Russian Federation from Russian President Vladimir Putin.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
celebrity, famous death, music news, entertainment
- Gusty winds elevate fire dangers in SoCal
- Compton teachers call in sick, want pay raise 33 min ago
- Bizarre East LA bank robbery trial begins
- Malaysia air force: Jet may have turned back
- Business leaders concerned about LADWP 50 min ago
- Roommate arrested in Westmont homicide
- 39-year-old man found dead in Apple Valley
- 5 measles cases in Orange County confirmed
- 5-alarm fire destroys San Francisco building 14 min ago
- Colorado triple homicide: Friend arrested
- abcnews: Family calls 911, held hostage by pet cat
- Elderly man fights off burglar with hammer 12 min ago
- Obama pushes health care on Funny or Die
- OTRC: Keith Richards releasing children's book