Barbara Walters returns to 'The View' after 6-week health absence
NEW YORK (KABC) -- Barbara Walters returned to "The View" Monday after having spent six weeks recovering from a concussion and the chicken pox.
The veteran ABC newswoman was welcomed back with a thunderous applause by beloved viewers and thrilled co-hosts Whoopi Goldberg, Joy Behar, Sherri Shepherd and Elizabeth Hasselbeck.
The 83-year-old was initially hospitalized on Jan. 19 after fainting and hitting her head on a marble floor during an inauguration party in Washington. Walters was required to get stitches after she cut her head during the fall.
During her stay at the hospital, the female co-anchor contracted a fever and was shortly diagnosed with chickenpox. Walters was released from the hospital after 10 days, and then took it easy in her New York home.
But the journalist and television personality showed no signs of illness Monday, pointing out the only visible sign of her ordeal was a single chickenpox bump and a tiny scar from her fall on her forehead.
"After a lot of scratching and rest, I am fine and I am healthy," Walter said. "People say I should have my head examined. I did have my head examined, and I am fine," she joked.
New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg brought flowers to the set to welcome Walters back. Regis Philbin also stopped by to wish Walters well.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
abc, television, entertainment
- Malaysia Airlines missing jet: Oil slicks found
- LAPD officer killed in Beverly Hills crash
- 3.2-magnitude earthquake hits Marina del Rey
- Salon owner charged in murder-for-hire plot
- Temecula man arrested in drug sales bust
- Pomona man hurt in shooting; suspect sought
- 2 pedestrians struck, killed on Norwalk street
- Westminster deadly car crash: Driver sought
- Gun hidden in sock kills woman at thrift store
- Bond set for mom who drove kids into ocean 14 min ago
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea 53 min ago
- abcnews: Woman has 'out of body' experience at will
- Oprah gives away Essence cover dress to fan
- Photos: Aaron Paul, wife at 'Need For Speed' premiere