Barbara Walters returns to 'The View' after 6-week health absence
NEW YORK (KABC) -- Barbara Walters returned to "The View" Monday after having spent six weeks recovering from a concussion and the chicken pox.
The veteran ABC newswoman was welcomed back with a thunderous applause by beloved viewers and thrilled co-hosts Whoopi Goldberg, Joy Behar, Sherri Shepherd and Elizabeth Hasselbeck.
The 83-year-old was initially hospitalized on Jan. 19 after fainting and hitting her head on a marble floor during an inauguration party in Washington. Walters was required to get stitches after she cut her head during the fall.
During her stay at the hospital, the female co-anchor contracted a fever and was shortly diagnosed with chickenpox. Walters was released from the hospital after 10 days, and then took it easy in her New York home.
But the journalist and television personality showed no signs of illness Monday, pointing out the only visible sign of her ordeal was a single chickenpox bump and a tiny scar from her fall on her forehead.
"After a lot of scratching and rest, I am fine and I am healthy," Walter said. "People say I should have my head examined. I did have my head examined, and I am fine," she joked.
New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg brought flowers to the set to welcome Walters back. Regis Philbin also stopped by to wish Walters well.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
abc, television, entertainment
- Suspect arrested in South LA teen kidnap, rape
- Claremont sexual predator ID'd, arrested
- 7.2-magnitude earthquake strikes Mexico
- E-cigarette ban in public to go into effect 29 min ago
- SaMo teacher reinstated after subduing student
- Oakland woman collapses at Coachella, dies
- Crates of mail found abandoned in Hollywood
- 4 sought in Highland home-invasion robbery
- South Korea ferry captain arrested - Yonhap
- Mount Everest avalanche kills at least 12
- abcnews: Workers caught filing false injury claims
- Pro-Russian insurgents ignore diplomatic deal
- Sub scours ocean for missing Malaysian jet
- OTRC: 'Scandal' recap - 5 highlights (Spoilers)