TV host of 'Rifleman's Journal' shot, killed
WHITEFISH, Mo. (KABC) -- The host of a TV gun show was shot and killed Thursday by another man in an apparent jealous rage in Montana.
Police said 43-year-old Gregory G. Rodriguez, host of The Sportsman Channel's "A Rifleman's Journal," died in the northwestern town of Whitefish when he was shot while visiting the shooter's wife.
Whitefish Police Chief Bill Dial said that 41-year-old Wayne Bengston shot Rodriguez at about 10:30 p.m. at the home of his wife's mother. Dial said Bengston then beat his wife, took his 2-year-old son to a relative's house and drove to his home about 25 miles away in West Glacier, where he killed himself. Dial said Bengston's wife was treated at a hospital and released that night.
Dial said they believe Rodriguez and Bengston's wife did not have a romantic relationship. He said Rodriguez and the woman, who works for a firearms manufacturer, met at a trade show and struck up a casual relationship.
Rodriguez traveled the world in search of big game and shared his adventures on his program. He is survived by his wife, Lisa, and two children. In a statement issued Saturday, the family said he was in Montana on a business trip.
The Sportsman Channel says it's deeply saddened by the shooting death.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
shooting, celebrity, famous death, entertainment
- Rizzo gets 12 years in prison for corruption
- Jury deadlocks in OC distracted driving case
- 290 missing, 6 dead in S. Korea ferry disaster
- West Adams fire in converted garage injures 4
- 3 'pimps' busted for Compton prostitution ring 43 min ago
- Victim found on 605 Freeway dies of injuries
- Lake Elsinore man arrested for assault
- Possible 5th victim sought in serial murders
- Boston Marathon hoax: Suspect is bipolar
- Pro-Russian insurgents seize armored vehicles 33 min ago
- abcnews: 10 most awful jobs for 2014 revealed
- LA Register newspaper takes on digital age
- Jay-Z's Made in America festival announced
- OTRC: AC/DC: Malcolm Young taking break