Donald Trump to pay for White House tours
WASHINGTON (KABC) -- Donald Trump says he will pay to keep the White House tours running for the rest of the fiscal year.
The Obama administration canceled the tours last Friday due to the sequestration budget cuts.
The tours, which cost $74,000 for a 40-hour week, have become a political flashpoint along with the rest of the budget battle.
Presidential press secretary Jay Carney said Thursday that the Secret Service needs to make unfortunate trade-offs like all federal agencies, and its options included canceling tours, furloughing staff or cutting overtime.
Trump says he thinks the tours were canceled to prove a political point. Last week, former House Speaker Newt Gingrich suggested that Trump offer to cover the cost.
Trump says he hadn't heard the suggestion.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
washington d.c., the white house, budget, celebrity, entertainment
- Suspect arrested in Hollywood severed head case 22 min ago
- Man found dead in ransacked Westmont home
- Malaysia missing jet: 'Every angle' probed
- Car crashes into OC yard; 2 killed, 1 injured
- Stage collapses at OC high school; 25 injured
- Suspect arrested for Dana Point shooting 50 min ago
- 3 attacked by bees in La Canada Flintridge
- Pedestrians fatally struck in Norwalk ID'd
- 6.9-magnitude earthquake hits NorCal coast
- Pistorius vomits during graphic testimony
- abcnews: Dog helps Army vet overcome PTSD
- Effexor recalled due to possible contamination
- '300' sequel rules box office w/ $45.1M debut 44 min ago
- OTRC: Stacy Keibler weds boyfriend Jared Pobre