Peabody Awards: Newtown, Superstorm Sandy coverage
ATHENS, Ga. (KABC) -- A local TV station's coverage of the Newtown school shooting and ABC News' coverage of Superstorm Sandy were among the 39 Peabody Award winners.
The recipients of the 72nd annual Peabody Awards were announced Wednesday by the University of Georgia's journalism school. The winners were chosen by the Peabody board as the best electronic media works of 2012.
Connecticut station WVIT-TV won an award for its "quick response and comprehensive coverage" of the December school shooting in Newtown, Conn. Other journalistic winners included ABC News for its coverage of Superstorm Sandy. The network embedded a reporting team with a family in Breezy Point, N.Y.
Documentary winners included "MLK: The Assassination Tapes," which aired on the Smithsonian Channel. HBO's film "Game Change" also won a Peabody.
International winners included "Rapido y Furioso," a Univision program examining the "Fast and Furious" federal law enforcement operation targeting gun trafficking in the U.S. and Mexico. The documentary "Under Fire: Journalists in Combat" also won a Peabody. The Canadian film explored the mindset of war correspondents and the dangers of their occupation.
In entertainment, winners included the HBO drama "Girls," the FX series "Louie," TNT's "Southland" police drama and the ABC family drama "Switched at Birth."
Horace Newcomb, director of the Peabody Awards, said the entries represent "an astonishing array of outstanding media accomplishment."
The 39 Peabody Awards will be formally presented at a luncheon on May 20 in New York.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- 2 boys molested at different South Bay parks
- Delivery man fatally shot in South Los Angeles 42 min ago
- LA Times building threat: Man detained by LAPD
- Aide to councilman linked to armed robbery
- Del Taco customers charged thousands for meal 10 min ago
- Man's body found in vehicle in San Bernardino
- FBI seeks '76 murder suspect, possibly in SoCal
- Claremont sexual predator ID'd, arrested
- 4.3-magnitude earthquake strikes Kern County
- Earthquake strikes off Papua New Guinea
- abcnews: Eclectic early summer festivals
- SKorean sunken ferry captain, 2 crew arrested
- Katharine McPhee stars in romantic TV film
- OTRC: Miley Cyrus postpones whole tour