'General Hospital' celebrates 50th anniversary w/ Nurses' Ball special
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- ABC's "General Hospital" is set to reprise its endearing tradition, the Nurses' Ball, to mark the show's 50th anniversary.
The daytime drama celebrated its 50th anniversary Monday. The festivities are set to continue Friday as the Emmy-winning drama's most endearing and noble tradition, the Nurses' Ball, returns.
The cast and crew of "General Hospital," who've spent a long time living in the fictional town of Port Charles, acknowledged its 50 historic years of daytime drama Monday. Cast members past and present toasted the milestone on March 8 with cake and champagne.
"We've always had such a good time doing it," said Anthony Geary, who plays Luke Spencer. "The audience always loves seeing the characters trying to perform, whether they're good at it or not good at it."
"General Hospital's" executive producer Frank Valentini says he brought back the ball, in part, to honor the history of the show.
"It's just going to blow everybody's mind and it's going to be a three-day event this year," Valentini said. "We couldn't fit everything in to just this one month so for the next several months, they'll be more returns and more excitement and more fun surprises for the audience."
A new relationship might be one of those surprises.
"I'd love to have a boyfriend. That would be nice," said Leslie Charleson, who plays Dr. Monica Quartermaine and has been a part of the show for 36 years.
Anthony Geary has been part of the show for 35 years so has television engineer Sandy Masone, who does her work behind-the-scenes.
"This is the best job in the world," Masone said. "This is a family and it has been for me from day one. We're all very appreciated and we appreciate each other and work very hard together to try and make a good product."
"The friendships are still the same," said Finola Hughes, who plays Anna Devane. "It's really nice and you realize that you were all growing up together."
George Pennachio, who has covered the show over the years, has become part of the furniture this week. He shares a scene with Hughes on Friday's episode.
Genie Francis was just a teenager when she first played Laura. She says "General Hospital" has become a huge part of her heart over the years.
"General Hospital" airs weekdays at 1 p.m. on ABC7.
television, abc, entertainment, george pennacchio
- Stalking arrest in WeHo murder-for-hire case
- Jet aborts takeoff after gear failure in Pa.
- Missing plane sent satellite signals for hours
- 'Flasher' suspect sought for exposure in OC
- 3 dead in fiery crash in San Bernardino area
- LA inmate escapes hours after sentencing
- Big Bear Lake's pirate ship afloat again
- OC high-speed chase ends in police shooting
- SXSW continues in Austin after crash kills 2
- NYC explosion kills 8; rescuers resume search
- abcnews: Dog's healing effects on 2 wounded vets
- Bail refused for ex-NFL player Darren Sharper
- Amazon hikes Prime membership to $99 per year
- OTRC: Tina Fey talks 'Mean Girls' reunion rumors