Hollywood's Chinese Theatre to transform into IMAX auditorium
HOLLYWOOD (KABC) -- The TCL Chinese Theatre, in the heart of Hollywood, is set to become the largest IMAX theatre in the world, officials said.
Under a deal that is awaiting city approval, the famous landmark would open a new 986-seat theater by September.
If approved, the movie house will shut down for several months this summer for renovations including installing new stadium seating and a new sound system.
Officials said the renovations will not affect the landmark's famous forecourt area. The site's iconic sidewalk filled with nearly 200 cement footprints, handprints and autographs of celebrities will reportedly remain open.
hollywood, historic landmark, entertainment
- Malaysian PM: Jet's disappearance deliberate
- Earthquake w/ mag-3.9 rattles Castaic area 19 min ago
- 4 kids abducted by parents in Boyle Heights
- Brush fire burns near Gorman by Quail Lake
- Body found at Anaheim trash recycling center
- OC 'flasher' suspect captured in San Diego
- Pinkberry co-founder sentenced in 2011 beating
- Man who hoarded snakes in OC home charged
- Pistorius photographed in bloodied prosthetics
- abcnews: Baby girl with 2 heads born in India
- Crimea vote won't be recognized by US - Kerry
- Baby gorilla born through rare C-section
- Sailor in iconic WWII kissing photo dies
- OTRC: Jamie Lynn Spears, 22, gets married - report